• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

breaking the rules!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildbill0013

i know that some people are going to jump all over this but, in my truck i have a alinco dr605t dualband radio with crosspatch. i just bought a wouxun kguv3d portable. in my house i have a yeasu ft90 dualband mobile that i have set on low power(5 watts).i am using it on murs frequency 154.600.
i have the alinco crosspatching murs 154.600 to gmrs so when i am in a customers house and my wife wants to call me my truck becomes a temporary repeater from my portable to my house.
i KNOW that i am breaking the rules but if i am running at low powerwhat are the chances that i will be thrown in jail?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thrown in jail? Chances 0%
Even if the FCC did find you, they give you a NAL, notice of apparent liability, first. You would be admonished, and fined. Fines from the FCC are usually in the few thousand dollar range. If you kept it up, willfully thumbing your nose at the FCC even after being fined, eventually you'd get busted and brought in.
From what I've seen from the FCC, it takes a lot to really tick them off. Often they will just give warnings.

As for GMRS and MURS, they really don't pay attention. I still hold my GMRS license, but I haven't used it in a few years. I'd almost always hear unlicensed, or at least un-ID'd users on there every day. Thanks to the FCC allowing FRS and GMRS in the same radio, most users are not aware of the difference. GMRS violations are pretty common, but GMRS ANL's are extremely rare.

I've never used MURS, but from what I've heard on there, there is such a mess of users, some licensed/grandfathered, some unlicensed, that I think you'd really have to be doing something seriously offensive on there to cause the FCC to take a look.

Yeah, the rules are there, you know them and you've chosen to do it anyway. You'll likely get a bunch of people to tell you off about it, but I doubt you'll ever hear a peep from the FCC. They seem to be woefully understaffed when it comes to enforcement, and the few guys they do have doing enforcement seem to be focusing elsewhere.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
i know that some people are going to jump all over this but, in my truck i have a alinco dr605t dualband radio with crosspatch. i just bought a wouxun kguv3d portable. in my house i have a yeasu ft90 dualband mobile that i have set on low power(5 watts).i am using it on murs frequency 154.600.
i have the alinco crosspatching murs 154.600 to gmrs so when i am in a customers house and my wife wants to call me my truck becomes a temporary repeater from my portable to my house.
i KNOW that i am breaking the rules but if i am running at low powerwhat are the chances that i will be thrown in jail?

...you're telling on yourself why?
Would you also drive 15mph over the posted limit then stop and tell the first cop you see?
Sorry, just trying to wrap my head around your question, because I'm sure you know they still make phones that call home. :roll:

n9zas

Last edited:

mjz55

Thrown in jail? Chances 0%
I've never used MURS, but from what I've heard on there, there is such a mess of users, some licensed/grandfathered, some unlicensed, that I think you'd really have to be doing something seriously offensive on there to cause the FCC to take a look.

Using MURS doesn't require a license.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Correct, using those 5 frequencies under the MURS rules does not require a license, however those frequencies required a license before MURS came along.

The users who were licensed on those frequencies before MURS was created were allowed to keep using their licensed frequencies under the terms of the original licenses. Many are using higher power, different emissions, etc, that are not allowed under the MURS rules. All perfectly legal as long as they don't let their license expire or make any major changes to their system.

Same goes for GMRS, there are still some grandfathered in commercial users that predate the rules that now say only individuals and their families can get licensed. Used to be that businesses and some government users could use GMRS legally. Again, as long as they keep the license up to date and don't make any major changes, it's all still legal. My place of employment is one of those "Grandfathered" GMRS users. We are licensed on 2 GMRS frequencies, and can still use them legally even though we don't meet the current rules.

wqox466

I have violators in my area speaking only in a foreign language, obviously using the radios "on-the-job". I've attempted to warn them in thier broken native language......to laughs and insults. They congregate on 16 and 22 (I'd have to look up the frequnceis).

These guys transmit for EXTENDED periods, sing, joke and are a general nusiance on the air. I think they are using the radios during thier work at a local landfill. All in all, I do believe they've broken every rule.

How do I report these guys? I understand that it's likely nothing will happen, but I'd take pleasure in informing them that they have been reported to the FCC and appropriate authorities.

Anyone have any insight?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Check on the FCC website. There are search boxes, and you should be able to find directions on how to file a complaint.

There is nothing illegal about using a foreign language on the radio. They can certainly sing and tell jokes. Being a nuisance is a point of view thing. Remember, you have other frequencies you can use, they are not using all of them.

You may very well get some satisfaction from reporting them, but in the long term, I think you'll be disappointed. The FCC has a poor track record of acting on these things. Chances are nothing would ever happen.

I understand your concerns, but the best thing to do is to use the big knob to find a clear frequency. The FCC rules don't guarantee any one the right to a specific frequency, it's all shared, no matter what language they speak.

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber
no one will notice, no one will care, and you cant use the analogy of speeding and telling a cop unless someone on here is uncle charlie, and that particular UC even gave a rats ***. Its GMRS and MURS... both of which are going the way of CB..

k3cfc

Silent Key
If you want to hear real violations listen to 14.313 I understand nothing can or ever will be done to this operator because he is in Canada and it is perfectly ok to talk this way. if you don't hear anything check back from time to time. Ill never understand why grown men have to talk filth on the radio.

k3cfc

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Assuming you have your ham license, why not have your wife get hers, too? Then she could just call you on a 2m repeater.

Of course, there are cellphones, as already pointed out. :)

CDN

VE7KFM Duplicate Account
Banned
Only in Canada, EH?

If you want to hear real violations listen to 14.313 I understand nothing can or ever will be done to this operator because he is in Canada and it is perfectly ok to talk this way. if you don't hear anything check back from time to time. Ill never understand why grown men have to talk filth on the radio.

k3cfc

Charles Chandler K3CFC:

I just tripped across your scurrilous comment….

As a mere ~year-old General (at the time of your post) and keeping the 14.313 MHz and related documented history on RadioRef. alone in mind, your “understanding” of the situation is GROSSLY remiss….

In no particular order, I therefore suggest that you at least search for/peruse my comments in:

http://forums.radioreference.com/hf-mw-lw-general-discussion/217932-14313.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/am...ussion/181390-how-vulgar-can-you-get-ham.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/am.../190769-obscene-foul-language-discussion.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/cb-radio-forum/138669-question-about-cb-users.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/am...ngradulating-laura-smith-related-matters.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/pictures-your-shack-mobile-setup/101442-my-shack.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/hf...2802-14-275-usb-one-guy-pretending-bunch.html

And to perfunctorily underline the point that unlike your contention, the problem on 14.313 MHz is virtually wholly of US making, peruse the latest FCC Warning Letters to the 14.313 MHz Mafia:

http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/AmateurActions/files/Bucha12_11_16_5320.html

http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/AmateurActions/files/Roll_13_01_05_5347.html

But note that more substantive “lashings” from the FCC are still in the pipeline…. Look for them here, soon:

EB - Amateur Radio Service Enforcement Actions

In closing, allow me to ~paraphrase you: I don’t understand why a presumably grown man – who hasn’t done his homework – would bear false witness – against a brother amateur – from a neighbouring/allied country at that!

k3cfc

Silent Key
Charles Chandler K3CFC:

I just tripped across your scurrilous comment….

As a mere ~year-old General (at the time of your post) and keeping the 14.313 MHz and related documented history on RadioRef. alone in mind, your “understanding” of the situation is GROSSLY remiss….

In no particular order, I therefore suggest that you at least search for/peruse my comments in:

http://forums.radioreference.com/hf-mw-lw-general-discussion/217932-14313.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/am...ussion/181390-how-vulgar-can-you-get-ham.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/am.../190769-obscene-foul-language-discussion.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/cb-radio-forum/138669-question-about-cb-users.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/am...ngradulating-laura-smith-related-matters.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/pictures-your-shack-mobile-setup/101442-my-shack.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/hf...2802-14-275-usb-one-guy-pretending-bunch.html

And to perfunctorily underline the point that unlike your contention, the problem on 14.313 MHz is virtually wholly of US making, peruse the latest FCC Warning Letters to the 14.313 MHz Mafia:

http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/AmateurActions/files/Bucha12_11_16_5320.html

http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/AmateurActions/files/Roll_13_01_05_5347.html

But note that more substantive “lashings” from the FCC are still in the pipeline…. Look for them here, soon:

EB - Amateur Radio Service Enforcement Actions

In closing, allow me to ~paraphrase you: I don’t understand why a presumably grown man – who hasn’t done his homework – would bear false witness – against a brother amateur – from a neighbouring/allied country at that!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but i didn't post this. this the first i heard of it.

73's and you have a super day.

K3CFC

n5ims

But your risk could rise if you do things like post an admission on an open internet forum (check!) while having your city/state openly posted (check!) as well as your GMRS call sign (check!) openly posted on that same site. If you make it too easy for them to find out not only the violation, but also who is doing that violation it may have one of their field agents looking for an easy violation look into things to bump their NAL count.

CDN

VE7KFM Duplicate Account
Banned
Lame or FRAUD ???

... i didn't post this. this the first i heard of it.

73's and you have a super day.

K3CFC

K3CFC:

Define the 1st "this" & (the last) "it"....

And are you really trying to suggest that you did NOT post the quoted comment, over your call-sign, K3CFC?

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
But your risk could rise if you do things like post an admission on an open internet forum (check!) while having your city/state openly posted (check!) as well as your GMRS call sign (check!) openly posted on that same site. If you make it too easy for them to find out not only the violation, but also who is doing that violation it may have one of their field agents looking for an easy violation look into things to bump their NAL count.

100% in agreement. The OP should remove the text from his post and beg a Moderator to delete the thread. I do not list my Amateur or GMRS call sign on this site. I operate within the law but why would I want to give thieves or other wackadoos a roadmap to where they can steal expensive radio gear. Some of the guys on this site post pictures of their shacks along with their call signs. Anyone who openly posts callsigns is giving out their address. I changed my callsign mailing address to a PO Box. Costs me $70 a year for piece of mind. I may be a little on the paranoid side, but better safe than sorry.............

Last edited:

quarterwave

I think we should take up a collection for the OP, and buy the guy a Trac-Phone. You know how the War Dept, I mean wives, can be!

Aside, I understand his post. It's usually a neat-o cool thing...once you do it and see that it works, the wow factor goes away. You can read about cross band mobile extenders, but when you make one yourself, man, you did something.

I have "accidently" left a FRS radio with VOX lay in front of my BC780 in my truck a time of two so I could hear 800 trunked and VHF stuff via my UHF portable while away from the truck. Probably did it 3-4 times....big deal. They shouldn't make FRS radios with VOX....hard to tell what you'll hear.

So, yes, what you are doing violates several rules. You'll get over it. After dealing with PAC-RT's for a few years back in my M days....I don't care to do this stuff anymore.

gewecke

Banned
I have violators in my area speaking only in a foreign language, obviously using the radios "on-the-job". I've attempted to warn them in thier broken native language......to laughs and insults. They congregate on 16 and 22 (I'd have to look up the frequnceis).

These guys transmit for EXTENDED periods, sing, joke and are a general nusiance on the air. I think they are using the radios during thier work at a local landfill. All in all, I do believe they've broken every rule.

How do I report these guys? I understand that it's likely nothing will happen, but I'd take pleasure in informing them that they have been reported to the FCC and appropriate authorities.

Anyone have any insight?

So call the landfill management and drop the dime on them? Would their boss be unhappy about it?

n9zas

gewecke

Banned
no one will notice, no one will care, and you cant use the analogy of speeding and telling a cop unless someone on here is uncle charlie, and that particular UC even gave a rats ***. Its GMRS and MURS... both of which are going the way of CB..

Well if you really believe that, fine. The abuse can be stopped. :twisted:

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.