Breckenridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanaholic

I don't see it here yet in the database but I located this new frequency for Breckenridge on Cityfreq.com.

155.6625, gotta be a digital system. For decades, they used 155.6850.

Hope this info helps for those in that area.

nd5y

155.6625 is actually the input to a repeater on 158.7975. Stephens County got two new licenses last year.
FCC Callsign WQKR544 Details
FCC Callsign WQKN543 Details
I am too far away to hear them so I don't know what they are used for, but according to the information on the license, the UHF one is for the jail and they are both digital but I don't think they are P25.

Cityfreq.com is a joke. You get much more license info from RadioReference.com including links to FCC database for each license.

scanaholic

Thanks for the info, Tom. That "joke" gave me some info I couldn't find here, however.
But Cityfreq. isn't what it used to be and I still favor the RR database.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
You can find that same info here by searching the FCC licenses from a county's database page. It is much more detailed on RR as well, with the station class (repeater, mobile, base), number of transmitters, location of tower/radius of mobile operation, etc........

I am not saying cityfreq.com is a joke, but I have not used it in five years if that is any indicator of my satisfaction with radioreference.com.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
155.6625 is actually the input to a repeater on 158.7975. Stephens County got two new licenses last year.
FCC Callsign WQKR544 Details
FCC Callsign WQKN543 Details
I am too far away to hear them so I don't know what they are used for, but according to the information on the license, the UHF one is for the jail and they are both digital but I don't think they are P25.
I plugged the new frequencies in months ago, when they first showed up in the FCC weekly grants posted on the DFWScan list. So far, I haven't heard anything on them. I have them entered in both digital, and analog, modes in the the two scanners I usually have with me when I'm in the area (BCD396XT & PSR500).

However, I'm only down there once, or maybe twice, a month, usually for just a visit on Saturdays. Some friends of mine, from Grand Prairie, also have some property down in the southeast corner of the county; that's probably 12-15 miles from Breckenridge itself. The jail frequency might not be repeated, or if so, may not on a high mast or with much power. So, even if it was in use, I might not hear it from where I am while in the county. As for the other frequency, I haven't caught any transmission on it either, and not seeing hits on the PSR500. But, that does not mean a thing either. Possibly just not using it a lot yet, or maybe not on the weekend. Or, maybe I just have not been lucky enough to hear them. I have a number of other agencies programmed for that area, including counties several 'layers' out, say 60-70 miles. So, I may miss an infrequent transmission on one of the new frequencies.

nd5y

Stephens County P25?

Today driving out I-20 it sounded like Stephens Co. was mixed mode P25 digital and 100.0 PL on 155.685. It also had a very slow CW ID of WQKR544 which is one of their new licenses (see post above) and not even the correct callsign for that frequency. I'm still not sure if I was hearing two different things.

Here is something else I found. They started a new fire dept in Stephens Co. a couple years ago in Wayland.
Wayland Volunteer Fire Department - Home

Check out the radio page in their photo album
Wayland Volunteer Fire Department - RADIOS
Check out the display on the hand held. I can't find any FCC license for them. I wonder what freq(s) they are using.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Today driving out I-20 it sounded like Stephens Co. was mixed mode P25 digital and 100.0 PL on 155.685. It also had a very slow CW ID of WQKR544 which is one of their new licenses (see post above) and not even the correct callsign for that frequency. I'm still not sure if I was hearing two different things.

Here is something else I found. They started a new fire dept in Stephens Co. a couple years ago in Wayland.
Wayland Volunteer Fire Department - Home

Check out the radio page in their photo album
Wayland Volunteer Fire Department - RADIOS
Check out the display on the hand held. I can't find any FCC license for them. I wonder what freq(s) they are using.
I'll be out there this weekend. Looking at their coverage map, my friends' place is in Wayland's zone off of FM207. Maybe I'll get lucky, & 'catch' a run.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
When I was out there Saturday, I was picking up a NAC of 125 on 155.685, but transmissions were so slim during my time out there, I'd hesitate to say for absolute positive it was Stephens I was hearing. However, the dispatcher's "voice" sounded the same.

Most of the fire/ems calls I heard were either in/around Possum Kingdom, down in Erath County, or Parker County. None specific to Stephens.

I put the 396XT in system hold for a while, on just Stephens County. I had added all the licensed county frequencies, including the new ones that have not been 'tagged' for specific usage as yet. Nothing heard from my location (near the La Casa community, off of FM207).

A couple of trips back, I was also getting some P25 activity on 155.7300, the Shackelford County S.O. primary. NAC 1A0 (416), but not enough traffic to confirm if it was Shackelford, or another agency. Did not catch am identifiable address, city, or road (highway, FM, etc) designation to confirm.

nd5y

This morning conditions were real good. I heard the slow CW ID on 158.7975 (the same thing I heard on 155.685 last week)
I also heard the P25 on 155.73 on the way back from Abilene last week. I forgot to look it up and figure out where it was.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
This morning conditions were real good. I heard the slow CW ID on 158.7975 (the same thing I heard on 155.685 last week)
I also heard the P25 on 155.73 on the way back from Abilene last week. I forgot to look it up and figure out where it was.
Concho County, second county south of Taylor, and bordering on the southwest corner of Coleman, shows to be P25 on 155.73, but no NAC listed. Pretty long stretch to hear it from where I am when hanging out in Stephens County, though I can usually hear Comanche and Brown counties. But, signals do travel at times. I suspect it's Shackelford I'm hearing, mixed mode for now. Just need to catch enough identifiable traffic, with locations in the correct county, to confirm it. Watching the database updates in that general area (Abilene vicinity), it seems that some of the county S.O.'s are beginning to convert to mixed mode, if not outright digital. I went back through my programming and added an entry for digital search to just about all of them, in addition to the listed primaries with PL's or DCS codes.

twobytwo

Callahan counyt has mixed P25 with NAC of 030 on 155.64

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Callahan county has mixed P25 with NAC of 030 on 155.64
Thanks, hadn't caught the digital side on that one yet. Added it to my FreeScan file for the area. I run down that way, on average, at least once a month. Some friends that live here in the metro area, have a weekend "getaway" place in Stephens County.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Stephens County mixed mode

Stephens County S.O. is now using mixed mode, P25 & analog, on their primary dispatch frequency, 155.685.

Only heard mobiles as P25, 155.685mhz/NAC 215. Dispatch was answering on the analog, 155.685/pl 100.0hz. Confirmed dispatch locations as being in Stephens, not Nolan. (Nolan is also on 155.685, mixed mode, & in the fringe of reception range of where I was.) A unit was working the U.S. Hwy 180/FM 717 area much of this afternoon.

Still only hearing the slow Morse code station identifier on 158.7975. Nothing heard on the probable jail frequency, 460.3125. But if it's in use, it's probably low power, & I'd be out of range.

When I was out there a couple weeks ago, I did catch one fire call (actually an EMS/first responder one) on the main S.O. dispatch frequency. Missed the first part, so not sure which department took the run, but the location was just down the road from us, near the old La Casa community. Based on their coverage map, it should not have been Wayland, as they have the south side of FM 207, and this was just north, near 717.

Status
Not open for further replies.