Bret Miller's discriminator tap installations

Status
Not open for further replies.

car2back

Has anyone had any experience dealing with Brett Miller's Discriminator Tap Service on dataslicers.com?

for $45.00, you ship your radio to him, he installs a tap and ships it back. I emailed him about my Pro02053 and he is extremely courteous and helpful. I even asked if he could install a 3.5mm audio jack instead of his standard 2.5mm and he said there'd be no problem with that.

I am just wondering if anyone has done this before.

thanks

richster

phil_smith said:
Has anyone had any experience dealing with Brett Miller's Discriminator Tap Service on dataslicers.com?

for $45.00, you ship your radio to him, he installs a tap and ships it back. I emailed him about my Pro02053 and he is extremely courteous and helpful. I even asked if he could install a 3.5mm audio jack instead of his standard 2.5mm and he said there'd be no problem with that.

thanks

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47482&highlight=dataslicers.com

Regards,
Richster.

N9JIG

Sheriff
phil_smith said:

thanks

I haven't had him tap my radio(s) but I have bought a couple slicers from him. They are pretty much works of art, working flawlessly. He does great work.

I have had a few guys in CARMA that have reported they sent their radios to him and the work was done professionally and quickly.

rpgbigman

I bought a data slicer with all the stuff and did it my self. if you can solder you can usually do the modification your self.
the info is on the net.
I bought the expesive data slicer that came with the disk shows you what to do. just make sure!! YOU HAVE A GOOD GROUND. I had problems on a scanner once and that was the problem!..

N9JIG

Sheriff
rpgbigman said:
I bought a data slicer with all the stuff and did it my self. if you can solder you can usually do the modification your self.
the info is on the net.
I bought the expesive data slicer that came with the disk shows you what to do. just make sure!! YOU HAVE A GOOD GROUND. I had problems on a scanner once and that was the problem!..

I agree, a good ground is imperative.

Making dataslicers is not particularily difficult if you are good with small components etc. I have made many myself, including making the slicer internal to the radio and putting a serial port on the back of the radio (Works great on 2006's!). If you are not good with soldering or small detail work then buying a slicer is a good idea, and dataslicers.com is a good source.

JohnnyGalaga

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I bought a coupla data slicers from him and they worked great. He is an honest seller. When I requested a longer cord on the slicers, he only charged me a few cents more to cover the cost. It was a good deal all the way around.

I just wish he sold 4-level data slicers.

car2back

I can solder ok, but after cracking open my scanner (pro-2053) and seeing how small the tap point is I'd rather not take any chances :wink:

thanks for all the input, Mr. Miller seems like a good guy and I look forward to doing business with him!

Go-24

phil_smith said:

I sent him my 898T a few weeks back - it took him just 1 day (actually probably minutes) to install the tap and he had it shipped back to me the next morning. I've been running trunker ever since ... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.