Brevard County I-Calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scanpal

Is anyone else not hearing I-Calls on the Brevard County EDACS system? I stopped receiving them about almost two weeks ago on my Psr-500. Went from receiving quite a few after installing the new firmware udate v1.2, to receiving none now. I ran my bc780 on I-Calls only over night, and did not hear any on there either. The regular part of the EDACS system operating normally. I am hoping that there is just something going on with the Brevard County system, and it will be back up fully soon. Thanks

Bill1426

You are right, there have not been any I-Calls in well over a week..
I have a GRE-500 and set the scanner to turn on the LED
when an I-Call is received..

The funny thing is, that I didn't think about it until I read your message.

Scanpal

Thanks for responding. I can only hope that it will be temporary. Really sucks for it to go out so soon after the firmware fix. Dead quiet!

ID2003

I-Calls shut down during rebanding

I-calls in Brevard have been turned off while rebanding is in progress. An I-Call ties up a complete channel. Rebanding of mobiles and portables have started this week in the north end. Today there were system problems, such as broken audio. Titusville PD moved all their traffic to Mutual Aid calling channel for a short time, because a satellite receiver was out. All the radios will have the new frequencies programmed in addition to the old ones. Once the rebanding of the tower sites is complete, the radios will be reprogrammed again with just the new freqs.

sacravitae

Premium Subscriber
ID2003, Thank you very much for the good info. It is people like yourself and Bill that enable this forum to work so well. Thanks again to you both.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
My understanding is that the Brevard system's rebanding is dead simple: Drop all system frequencies by 15.000 MHz. Any system frequency that results in a receive frequency below
860 MHz is already good to go, as a few channels were added not too long ago that are
already in the right range.

I'm not in a position to test this yet. I'm not in range of the north county system, which is
the only one that's been rebanded as of this moment.

Elroy

Scanpal

Brevard North Rebanding Test

I programed the Brevard County north tower into my PSR-500 using the published frequencies in LCN ,minus 15mhz on each frequency. I was using a base 800mhz beam antenna from about 25 miles away from Titusville. It did not trunk.

KD4JAF

Scanpal said:
I programed the Brevard County north tower into my PSR-500 using the published frequencies in LCN ,minus 15mhz on each frequency. I was using a base 800mhz beam antenna from about 25 miles away from Titusville. It did not trunk.

I as well have been scanning the 851-854 range for the North tower and have come up empty.....hoping someone will have the correct information soon. I did hear a control channel but my scanner did not trunk track it. :confused:

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
Alert 4 has been busy with radio checks all day long. Most of the LIDs noted were in the 10,000 range, which is reserved for Melbourne PD. This suggests that the central sites (Rockledge and Eau Gallie) are in prep for rebanding. This must be the "first touch",
where the new data is loaded into the radios preparatory to the reband changeover.

The second touch will be to remove the old system data after the rebanding is complete.

Only the system frequencies should be changing...I think.

Elroy

KD4JAF

ElroyJetson said:
Alert 4 has been busy with radio checks all day long. Most of the LIDs noted were in the 10,000 range, which is reserved for Melbourne PD. This suggests that the central sites (Rockledge and Eau Gallie) are in prep for rebanding. This must be the "first touch",
where the new data is loaded into the radios preparatory to the reband changeover.

The second touch will be to remove the old system data after the rebanding is complete.

Only the system frequencies should be changing...I think.

Elroy

The Alert channels are used for special events or details (Space Coast Stadium, County Fair, SeaFeast, etc.).
During an emergency or evacuation the talkgroups are assigned as follows:
Alert 1 - North County
Alert 2 - Central County
Alert 3 - South County
Alert 4 - SCAT Evacuation Transportation
All radios in the system have these talkgroup.

Which system were these test being done on ? If they only change the system frequecies, this will be a good thing for us. Thanks for the update Elroy

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
My current belief is that the frequency change data I gave is accurate but as of this moment, no section of the county has actually made the changeover from the old frequencies to the new ones.

The first phase of rebanding is to add the new data to every radio in the system so that
everyone has both the old and the new versions in his radio.

The second phase will be to actually turn up the new frequencies and have everyone switch over to them.

The third phase will be to visit every radio in the system again for another "touch",
removing the old version of the system data from each radio.

I spoke to some of the CII field techs who are doing the reprogramming. They're not
going into great detail but I think that the 15 MHz offset figure is correct.

Incidentally, they're using RPM version 20.

Reprogramming is being done at the Indian Harbour Beach fire department and at the Melbourne airport, as of today.

They are doing all radio checks of reprogrammed radios on Alert 4.

Elroy

Gadgetmann

Premium Subscriber
I will be down there on Friday for a vacation. In reading some posts here they can hear the control channel but it will not truck track? So bottom line, can we monitor this system still? Or have they changed the frequencies and I will need to change them in my scanner? thanks

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
There are data channels in the same systems which are for the MDT data services. They won't trunktrack because they're not trunking data.

As of today, the "old" Brevard system is still in full operation. The new system is believed to
be the same as the old system, but with all frequencies dropped exactly 15 MHz.

The new frequencies are not operational YET. They may have been tested, but they won't
be turned up until it's time for the changeover.

I expect the changeover to occur within the next two, maybe three weeks, tops.

Elroy

Gadgetmann

Premium Subscriber
Ahh ok well good I won't need to re program my scanner then cuz it worked great last year when I was there, thanks for the info.

KD4JAF

Thank you Elroy for this important information. Over the last couple of days I have heard Supervisor's asking unit(s) if they have gone and had their radio(s) programmed....this occured on the Central System and Eau Gallie System. This goes hand in hand with what you have explained with the proramming taking place at Melbourne Airport. Thanks again

elc32955

If anyone has questions on the rebanding schedule, we're now updating it on the County's EM website. Follow the link....

http://embrevard.com/8--mhzusergroupuser.cfm

Elroy is correct, for rebanding the trunking system most all of the frequencies are dropping by 15 MHZ. This is the formula for rebanding pretty much on a nation-wide basis for users on the NPSPAC frequencies. There has been a great deal of discussion as far as when the actual down-banding itself will occur on the site equipment, one of the efforts underway is to down-band in a coordinated fashion along with our neighboring counties so as not to cause interference to any adjacent users while conversions are in progress. Also, continuity on the mutual aid frequencies is rather important.

The RDSTF Region V comm. group is working regional re-banding coordination in conjunction with CII, Televate LLC (land mobile consulting firm), and Shulman Rogers, the County's re-banding legal counsel. Considering that we have just under 4,000 subscriber units out of a 6,400 unit system that will have to be totally replaced (not counting retro-fit of all the old original Mastr II repeaters at the sites), rebanding is going to be fun fun fun! Stay tuned sports fans.... (GRIN)

Also just to answer an earlier question, I-Call is totally disabled until after completion of rebanding. Don't look for it to come back until after October 1, possibly later.

Take care
Eric

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
Thank you, Eric, for that information. It's very helpful, and very nice to see it.

You say "most" of the frequencies will be dropping 15 MHz. Does that mean that there
will be some deviations from that formula?

May we ask for concise data regarding this, or are you not in a position to give that information for whatever reason?

I'll bet the county is glad for every old M-PD and M-PA and Rangr that they held onto,
among other types of radios. You get to swap those old radios for new ones at Nextel's expense! ...hey...can I get an M-PA swapped out for a new 7100IP? :D

Elroy

elc32955

Sure. Frequencies like Florida Mutual Aid for instance (808/853.3875) are being assigned another channel, can't recall off the top of my head what it is. If you have frequencies in the first 120 General Pool channels they are all being swapped out for other channels. Lot of agencies have mixed frequencies due to the scarcity of frequency allotments. We were very fortunate to have received adequate channels in the early days of the Brevard system, other counties like our neighbors to the west are frequency-locked with no channels to go to and all sorts of loading to contend with.

Forget the 7100IP, I'll take a 512K M-RK II system any day!

Take care
Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.