brick and mortar stores in central texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobCrk

I live in Waco in central TX, does anyone know of a good electronics store besides Radio Shack that carries police scanners and has some experienced help? I am wanting to purchase a digital scanner and need help with decisions and tech support after the sale. I could go to DFW or Austin area. I would rather purchase the radio from a physical location rather than online.
Thanks for any help

TxsChef

Premium Subscriber
I live in Waco in central TX, does anyone know of a good electronics store besides Radio Shack that carries police scanners and has some experienced help? I am wanting to purchase a digital scanner and need help with decisions and tech support after the sale. I could go to DFW or Austin area. I would rather purchase the radio from a physical location rather than online.
Thanks for any help

I'm in Waco also and Radio Shack is your only source. Sorry there is nothing else.

Trekker65

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for any help
You can listen in on the Waco action on this website. Go to the Live Audio pulldown menu from the home page and select Live Audio Home. Click on Texas and then click on McLennon County. Scroll down to the picture of the speaker and click on it to start the action. The feed is in stereo so it is like having 2 scanners running at the same time. Kinda annoying unless you want to just turn off one of your speaker channels on your computer controls. I have listened a few times to the action in Waco and surrounding area but can not remember if anything is digital. If you are just interested in the Waco area you may not need a digital scanner yet. There may be enough activity to keep you happy. It is nice to be able to try out the action before buying.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I live in Waco and talked to a person who knows about the radio systems here. Waco will go digital in about one year from now.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Bob,

In Waco you would only need a digital scanner for Texas DPS (see Region 6- Waco, for the relevant frequencies) and ETMC EMS. Anything in blue is a link.

For all the Waco PD and Waco FD see this link. This is an analog trunking system that 99% of current scanners can trunk track. For East Texas Medical Center EMS (who serves Waco) see this trunking system, and specifically the "Site-002 Waco" frequencies, and the McLennan County talkgroups. This sytem is also an analog trunking system, but it will need to be rebanded soon. This will come in to play when you decide to purchase a scanner as some older analog scanners won't trunk track properly on rebanded systems. However, ETMC will be switching to a digital trunking system in the near future. If you care to listen to Texas DPS and ETMC EMS then you will need a digital scanner.

Lastly, I wouldn't bet on it, but Waco could very well go to a digital trunking system in the next few years. A digital scanner would be well worth it in my opinion. You can find some great deals online if you're willing to do a little research. First off, read around this site, especially our Wiki. Here you can find any information you could want about specific scanner models and their specifications (look here for analog and here for digital). Once you figure out what scanners fit your purpose look around Scannermaster for a new one, or watch RadioReference's Classifieds.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
In the metroplex there is Fry's (ZERO customer service). I can not say about Tarrant County but in Dallas/Collin County there is Texas Towers (but not sure on the customer service when it comes to scanners)
Radio Shack does have a good scanner person in Flower Mound if you want to go that far. Send me an PM and I can give you contact info.

bsmotril

In Austin, there is Austin Amater Radio supply just off of I-35 and just south of 290East. Great stock of antenna components, books, mobile antennas, SW, and Hardware. They have some scanners along with their HAM gear.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
In Austin, there is Austin Amater Radio supply just off of I-35 and just south of 290East. Great stock of antenna components, books, mobile antennas, SW, and Hardware. They have some scanners along with their HAM gear.

I've been in there a lot recently and don't recall seeing any scanners... though I could be mistaken. I know that I've perused well enough to say there aren't any top o' the line scanners. The store is by far the best amateur radio store around this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.