Brick & Mortar Radio Stores near Fort Worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon_k

I'm aware of Texas Towers, though unsure if they just sell Towers and Radios or if they are full scale.

I went to 4 local radio shacks in the North Richland Hills area. My quest was simple. I needed a BNC to SMA adapter so I could use my VX-7R radio in my mobile antenna rig. Further, if available, I was going to pick up the Radio Shack Discone.

All 4 radio shacks let me down in both regards! They had strange SMA RF mounts and other RF odds and ends that are useless for a scanner/radio operator (though some the items were great if you were a Microwave deployment person.) They had special GHZ rated plugs that I've never seen anyone use.

I need a place local where I can pick stuff up when I don't want to wait for shipping. I was hoping radio shack would have enough stuff to help me out. I wasn't expecting Universal Radio, but nor was I expecting RF trinkets that aren't useful. They had an amateur radio drawer with solder-on DIN plugs and "replacement mics". Again, not very useful. I assume amateur operators need antenna adapters more often than they would need a new solder-required replacement MIC component for their rigs. (An operator of today would more likely buy a new DTMF mic, than take the assembly apart to replace the microphone component.)

I mean I saw RF plugs that you would think would have to be special mail-order from Sweden they looked so unusual, unneeded, and rare. You think "wow if they have such a low-demand trinket in this drawer, the next SURELY must have my adapter." You comb through all inventory then to find not a single BNC to ??? (in my case SMA) adapter for interconnecting cable.

Any ideas anyone? I didn't want this to be a rant. I'm sure all of you have felt this too, and I've seen rants before about this. If anyone has any brick and mortar suggestions for the Fort Worth area, please suggest! Texas Towers doesn't count because they're 30+ miles away.

Last edited:

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
I get most of my adapters at Frys.

They have BNC to SMA adapters as well as most others... You may have to dig through though...they are not very well organized.

jon_k

I've had very good luck at Tanner Electronics in Carrollton (even thought it's a bit of a driver for you):
http://www.tannerelectronics.com/

Damn. It's about 30 miles as well. Why does Dallas and surrounding area always have the better economy and retail. :lol::lol: I love Fort Worth, but when it comes down to it, there's more resources around Dallas.

This place looks like a megastore of surplus electronics. Resisters and LED's and caps oh my! I'll have to drop by this place just for the fun of it sometime. Good suggestion. If anyone knows a place closer to FTW for my immediate needs though, please chime in!

jon_k

I get most of my adapters at Frys.

They have BNC to SMA adapters as well as most others... You may have to dig through though...they are not very well organized.

Which Fry's? I primarily go to the one in Arlington off Matlock.

If I remember correct you live around Arlington. If this is the store you refer to:
A) Is it on that isle with the CB radios, antenna, and HAM practice books? (And standing behind you is oscilloscopes, etc?)
B) Or is it on/nearby the isle with raw components like caps and resistors? (With batteries and etc nearby.) I may have seen some sort of adapters in passing there (before interest in radio of course.)

I ask because on option A, I've never seen anything but gear / antennas there. No adapters.

I'll definitely be stopping by today or tomorrow. My predicament is I want to start transmitting mobile with my mobile scanning antenna on 2 meters (it's advertised as capable.). However, the HAM radio has an SMA plug. (A dedicated 2 meters/70cm antenna will be purchased very shortly though. Plus a dedicated mobile ham rig.)

Last edited:

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Near the Antennas and such but on an isle closer to the front of the store (opposite side of all the hard drives). The isle runs into the area where all the motherboards are laying out.

jon_k

Near the Antennas and such but on an isle closer to the front of the store (opposite side of all the hard drives). The isle runs into the area where all the motherboards are laying out.

Ahh, OK. The antennas and gear are near the side of the isle with the harddrives. I'll look on the opposite side/section thereabouts. Thanks for the heads up!

af5rn

I have looked ALL over that friggin' Fry's for such adaptors, and never seen them either. The Rat Shack at Little Road and Interstate 20 in Southwest Arlington has a great selection of connectors and adaptors, and has never let me down in that respect, although they are useless for anything else. I am headed up there shortly to get another BNC to SMA adaptor myself.

EDIT: Just got back from that Rat Shack and suddenly they no longer have any BNC to SMA adaptors, and didn't even know they ever had any. :roll:

Last edited:

jon_k

I have looked ALL over that friggin' Fry's for such adaptors, and never seen them either. The Rat Shack at Little Road and Interstate 20 in Southwest Arlington has a great selection of connectors and adaptors, and has never let me down in that respect, although they are useless for anything else. I am headed up there shortly to get another BNC to SMA adaptor myself.

EDIT: Just got back from that Rat Shack and suddenly they no longer have any BNC to SMA adaptors, and didn't even know they ever had any. :roll:

Yep. The Radioshack Employees here just as clueless. They need someone to come in to these stores and throw out the useless "Radio" stock that a real enthusiast will NEVER want or need, and order stock that can actually be high demand/use to the radio enthusiast. A simple ditch and re-stock could put radio gear in their stores that would sell much faster. No wonder they teeter on the brick of bankruptcy. I feel bad for them, but here is a pro tip: learn to know what the hell you're selling and stock items that will move rather than items that sit in a part drawer indefinitely..:D

Ditch the horrible C.B. antennas and get some discones. Hopefully frys WILL have some BNC>SMA adapters. If not, there will be plenty at hamfest.

Last edited:

af5rn

Which Hamfest? Do they still do HamCom at the Arlington Convention Centre?

I thought about doing Dayton this year, but changed my mind.

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
RF / Radio Connectors Try "Tanner Electronics" Dallas area

The best place for RF and Radio connectors and adapters I have found is Tanner Electronics, INC at 1100 West Valwood Parkway, Suite 100 in Carrollton, TX tel: (972) 242-8702 open Sat 9-3 as I recall...good parts outfits for repairing radios, etc....recommend you call to double check open hours...

It's a small strip center and a little bit off the road (north side) so hard to see....

It's not Ft Worth, but worth the trip to check it out at least as I get my adaptors that I can not find at the FRY's in Arlington...

Bill
Keller,TX

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
The best place for RF and Radio connectors and adapters I have found is Tanner Electronics, INC at 1100 West Valwood Parkway, Suite 100 in Carrollton, TX tel: (972) 242-8702 open Sat 9-3 as I recall...good parts outfits for repairing radios, etc....recommend you call to double check open hours...

It's a small strip center and a little bit off the road (north side) so hard to see....

It's not Ft Worth, but worth the trip to check it out at least as I get my adaptors that I can not find at the FRY's in Arlington...

Bill
Keller,TX

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Seems like I am at Frys about once a week buying adapters...LOL
There may not be any left...I am building quite a nice collection... I only have 1 BNC to SMA adapter or I'd give you one... Got all my BNC, N-Type, and F-Type from the one in Arlington. But to be honest, I really don't like that store near as much as the one on 635 NE of the airport. That place is so much better laid out and clean....Just not 10min away like the Arlington store.

Bill - If you are in Keller, I'd think that 635 store would be just as close to you... My parents are over in Colleyville and I visit that store with my Dad often.

Last edited:

af5rn

Sweet! I appreciate it, Bill! Is it a ham shop, or a general electronics store?

We used to have Hardin Electronics in Fort Worth, which was great, and I bought a couple ham radios there. Then they got all off into Apple computers, and next thing you know, there is nothing in the store but computer crap anymore. Too bad. Especially since Apple sucks!

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
I have not seen any Ham gear, but it's been like 10 months since last visit.....had a good selection of PC parts, electonic parts, kits and genral eletronics (fans, power supplies, knobs, resitors, etc...) good size place for these days of black-box....check it out and let us all know how it is over at Tanners...

Bill

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
Also, check out Altex in north Carrolloton on the west side of Addison Airport....they have a mix of OC build and did have good Network and Connectors - Adaptors...been over a year since been that location check out their web site http://www.altex.com/

Bill
Keller,TX

rpowley

Also, check out Altex in north Carrolloton on the west side of Addison Airport....they have a mix of OC build and did have good Network and Connectors - Adaptors...been over a year since been that location check out their web site http://www.altex.com/

Bill
Keller,TX
A great place to shop or browse - friendly and knowledgeable staff. I do a lot of job related business with these folks.

SCPD

QRT
Tanner Electronics in Carrolton is the Best place for those items. Fry's runs a close second. Radio Shack dosent even qualify.

Status
Not open for further replies.