bricked psr800?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stircrazy

I was playing with my 800 today and tried to perform a db update. Received the error IOHandler value is not valid. I searched the forums and seen the update. I tried to do this and now my 800 says uP Boot Ver: F1.0 and uP App Ver: NONE

It's completely stuck on the upgrade screen, and I am now lost. I formatted the mem card and tried to go through ezscan to no avail. What am I missing?

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
This works for the pro-668, psr-800, ws1080 and similar scanners.
You must have the comport driver for your scanner model installed and working on your computer or you will not be able to do this.
Unplug the scanner from the USB cord. Take out the batteries. Let it sit for awhile. Put the batteries back in. It should go back to a blank screen.

DO NOT TURN THE SCANNER ON!

Plug the USB cord into the scanner. DO NOT TURN THE SCANNER ON! Plug into the PC. An icon should appear on the bottom of your PC. It will show that the USB cord has connected. Bring up the EZScan/iscan software.

At the very top of the software, click on Updates, click on Check for all updates. Allow it to do all updates and upgrades (unless on unofficial hacked firmware). The scanner will tell you when it's finished. DO NOT UNPLUG THE USB CORD. When all updates/upgrades have finished, click on done/finished in the software. Then click on the icon and click on remove safely. Then your scanner should work.
Link to Radio shack Pro-668 standalone installer for Cpu version 2.4 (I have not tested this this) Please let us know that it works. https://drive.google.com/file/d/11EqRvEuICcz5C4qxdp6XL1fb6zYUk5qb/view
Link to Radio shack Pro-668 standalone installer for Cpu version 2.5 https://www.dropbox.com/s/yusta63b8mduwb6/PRO668Updater_2.5.0.357.zip?dl=0&file_subpath=%2FPRO668Updater_2.5.0.357.exe
LEGACY stand alone cpu firmware installer for Scanner that have been sent to whistler for the Legacy upgrade to a WS1080 https://whistlergroup.com/pages/legacy-downloads

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
is there a way to basically restore the app version? Or am I looking at having to send it in to
Whistler?
It stays on with usb unplugged and no batteries in it?IMPOSSIBLE
Read my first post as you have to reinstall the CPU firmware. either via ezscan or preferably the standalone installer.

stircrazy

As soon as I plug in the USB or put the batteries back in it turns this screen on. It won't go blank.

Attachments

• 20200823_174546.jpg
    20200823_174546.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 29

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Bring up the EZScan/iscan software.

At the very top of the software, click on Updates, click on Check for all updates. Allow it to do all updates and upgrades (unless on unofficial hacked firmware).

I don't think you can use the old EZ-Scan software for anything requiring it to connect to internet. You will get the IO-Handler error as Whistler's servers no longer accept the connection.

I think the only way to repair a non upgraded scanner is with standalone CPU and DSP updaters now.

stircrazy

this fix worked!! I finally got it to work. I will be sending it in now for the upgrade.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber

this fix worked!! I finally got it to work. I will be sending it in now for the upgrade.
Glad you figured it out...so the lack of the update server caused the issue?

stircrazy

It was me trying to update a whistler update not knowing or reading 100% the whole article. I bought this second hand. I wasn't sure if it had been updated since new. It updated a few things then stopped. When I searched for the newest update I didn't see the disclaimer that it had to be updated via whistler to accept DMR. What a learning experience this has been. Give me a Uniden and I'm fine. Give me something new like this and I'm done lol

kruser

Premium Subscriber

At least that thread has the standalone GRE CPU updater. I think that's what will be needed for any true GRE PSR800 models out there as GRE EZ-Scan will not longer connect to a server for updates of any kind.
I assume the same will be true of the RadioShack models that are not upgraded by Whistler as well.
Hopefully someone will gather and keep copies of the old standalone upgraders for the old models.

Status
Not open for further replies.