Bridgewater area

Status
Not open for further replies.

lms

Hi everyone. I am trying to set up a file to load into my BCD996XT scanner for the Bridgewater area. I would like to add the RCMP, Police EHS & Fire Departments. What i am unsure of is what the "Trunk Frequencies" I should be entering. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

hfxChris

Database Admin
Hi - first off you're not going to hear RCMP, they're using encryption on their talkgroups and no scanner can receive that.
Next, you're going to want to brush up on what trunking is. The wiki has a pretty good article to familiarize yourself: Trunking Basics - The RadioReference Wiki

Once you're a bit more familiar with the terms and ideas behind a trunked radio system, you'll want to check out the provincial trunked system in the database:

Aliant Trunked Mobile Radio System (Motorola 800MHz) Trunking System, Province-Wide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

The sites you'll probably want to program for the Bridgewater area would be Hebbville and Sellars Brook. The only frequencies you'll need are the control channel and alternate control channel for each site, those are indicated as red and blue respectively in the database. The other frequencies for each site you can ignore.

Hope that helps a bit

lms

Thanks for the info and links. I will set up a file and see how it works. Thanks very much hfxChris :)

lms

I was able to set up a file and I am getting everything but the RCMP, which I now know you can't get. What I would like to know is would it be possible to setup a file that I could also receive some transmissisions from other parts of the province? For example could you receive transmissions in Bridgewater that originate in Kentville?

hfxChris

Database Admin
Yes and no. For the trunked (TMR) radio system, usually you will only receive the sites that are in your area, unless you have an external antenna up nice and high, and you don't live at the bottom of a hole. And even then I wouldn't expect to receive any of the sites (towers) around the Kentville area as an example. Now because of the way a trunked system works though, if there are any Kentville area users of the TMR travelling through your area, their radios are going to affiliate with the local towers there in Bridgewater, and you'll be hearing their 'home' talkgroup.

Fire in the province is a mixture of regular non-trunked VHF, and some talkgroups on the TMR. Make sure you all those EO-W1 through EO-W4 talkgroups, as they'll be the primary talkgroups for western NS fire departments on the TMR. Also make sure you've got the conventional (non-trunked) VHF frequencies listed in the database for the various fire departments in Lunenburg County, and the surrounding counties for good measure, but again unless you have an antenna up nice and high, don't expect to get much more outside of the county.

lms

Thanks for the info and your explanation. Now I understand why I hear some transmissions sometimes, makes total sense. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.