Brief Trip To Port Huron

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkillins

What would folks familiar with the area recommend programming for the most rewarding monitoring experience. I'd be using an older Pro96 so unsure what success I will have with MPSCS. What site(s) of the many would be the best for St. Clair County, hints at programming/listening to MPSCS? Busy, interesting gov't, military, marine or private conventional or trunked systems? Scanner space is at a premium, so looking at optimizingthe experience.

GeneseeCoMI

What would folks familiar with the area recommend programming for the most rewarding monitoring experience. I'd be using an older Pro96 so unsure what success I will have with MPSCS. What site(s) of the many would be the best for St. Clair County, hints at programming/listening to MPSCS? Busy, interesting gov't, military, marine or private conventional or trunked systems? Scanner space is at a premium, so looking at optimizing the experience.

The St. Clair County simulcast system sounds fine on my Pro 96 when I go to Port Huron (and on the trip on I-69). Also marine is pretty active. The US federal government/military (namely border patrol and coast guard, except marine VHF) is completely encrypted and the nearest military base is in Mt Clemens so you won't pick it up from PH. The railroads are pretty active too.

For Sarnia, put in the Bell FleetNet - Ontario Provincial Government Zone 1 Sarnia system's Sarnia tower. It has OPP for Lambton County (talkgroup 8320) and their EMS (35168). Make sure to put in the custom frequency table (base 141.015, spacing 15, offset 380) or it won't work though. Canadian border patrol is analog conventional and in the clear.

If you like air, put in KPHN and CYZR.

There's several other businesses in the PH area and Sarnia too that are active so check their DB pages.

rkillins

Thanks Genesee for the thorough answer. I appreciated knowing what I can expect, rather than going in overly optimistic, being disappointed, and filling my scanner with redundant frequencies.

Is there a site(s) to best program from the list? I see RFSS 2(2) Site 021 (15) as St. Claire Cty Simulcast as being likely, but it has a 700MHz frequency for which I didn't think the 96 would accept.

GeneseeCoMI

I didnt realize they added a 700 mhz frequency. If you have a newer scanner that tracks systems wiith 700 mhz frequencies you should bring it instead. If not put in the other St Clair Co towers or maybe try to receive Macomb Co's towers.

Status
Not open for further replies.