• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Bring an M7100 back from the dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W3AXL

RF Engineer
Premium Subscriber
Hi all!

I've got an M7100 in a pretty bad state. Was backing up the radio code via RadioMaint when my PC bluescreened. Now it's missing its tracking and feature data and I can't even write in the default tracking file or a basic feature string. I can still read & write the SW/DSP, and have backed up the original SW and DSP, but I can't seem to get it unstuck.

Right now, it's on SW J2P18E08 and DSP F4R06M05. Tracking data shows as invalid, and feature encrypted shows "No." I tried running recovery to load J2R11C02 and F8R06N05 on it, and it took the SW and DSP just fine, but failed when I tried to erase the EEPROM with an "APP ERR" on the display. Still wouldn't take tracking data or a feature set.

Looking for any advice to try and get this thing back up and running. I don't have the feature string, as I wasn't able to pull it before it went belly up. However, as far as I know it didn't have any special options like P25. I've got the option codes but I know those aren't enough to actually restore the radio back to its original feature set.

I'm fine with recovering it to a very basic configuration; I just want to get it working at all, if that's possible. Any help is appreciated! Macom stuff is outside my wheelhouse and it's becoming apparent that these things are a little more tricky than Moto stuff.

Thanks!

W3AXL

RF Engineer
Premium Subscriber
For reference, this is what RadioMaint reads out as the current state of the radio:

I have a feeling the fact that the radio isn't totally dead is at least a glimmer of hope that things can be recovered.

Jordo2114

I'm in the exact same boat as you, Harris can supposedly provide you with the factory Data String for the radio but.......Don't bother with the Harris TAC they wont work with you unless you are a dealer. I have contacted several Harris dealers via email and have yet to get a response and all I need is the FEAT Data String for my P7100ip. I think if you put all zeros in the data feature edit the radio reverts to basic features which is analog conventional only. You will have to have radio re aligned as well. I'm not sure what your plans are for the radio but with how cheap you can buy an M7100 on ebay for it may be worth trying a different one. Without help from a dealer the radio is pretty much useless.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I can not stress this enough: Archive the feature string data and tracking data for every Harris (legacy) radio you ever own. And obtain the radio code and DSP files, original .biz files, if possible. The day will come when you need it.

Frankly I think that the architecture of these radios is ridiculously brick-prone. I've got an M7300 in a CS7000 console that was bricked just from trying to upload a new version personality into it, and the computer used never crashed and only had one job and that was programming radios. I got errors, switched to my spare laptop (Essentially identical, and neither ever is allowed to do anything but program radios) and got more errors and that was with fresh, genuine Harris programming cables and a veteran but healthy laptop. It crashed and the radios shows LOST MRU and so far, recovery attempts have failed. I stopped trying. I need to send it off to a true professional to get it fixed.

Harris, your radios DO suck in some regards.

Jordo2114

I am mostly a low tier Kenwood and Icom guy myself........Programming Harris stuff is light years more difficult, but I think this is partially by design as Harris doesn't want any hack job (me) with a laptop being able to get into their equipment. ElroyJetson are you a Harris dealer or tech yourself?

nucleaireqc

If you read with Programmer, it is normal for the functionality chain and the tracking data to appear invalid or empty. In RPM it appears to be functional. The opposite works. You take RPM you read a radio which is programmed with (.PROGRAMMER.) It will work

Status
Not open for further replies.