Bringing a scanner on an airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
Looking to bring my scanner with me on a flight... I have two questions. I am not checking a bag, so would it be able to come with my carry on... or would it even be able to fly with me? I understand with security checkpoints these days why it wouldn't, and I would rather not even worry about the hassle if I do not have to. Thanks.

SCPD

QRT
Looking to bring my scanner with me on a flight... I have two questions. I am not checking a bag, so would it be able to come with my carry on... or would it even be able to fly with me? I understand with security checkpoints these days why it wouldn't, and I would rather not even worry about the hassle if I do not have to. Thanks.

I dont know if you can technically "bring it on and airport" but you can bring it in an airport! And yes you can bring it in a carry on without issue.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
The answer to a multitude of same questions/posts is to check with your security at airport and the airlines you will be flying with.

Muilisx

On an airport?

You mean to an airport like around the airport? Or do you mean on the plane? You're legally allowed to listen so I don't see why you couldn't be in an airport with it when you can easily pick up airport frequencies from not even being in the airport. On a plane while it's ON is a no-no. However, having it checked or OFF as a carry on is fine.

bharvey2

I've flown quite often with a carry-on full of radios. I've never had a problem with TSA/airport security at any airport (All USA domestic) I removed the antennas and batteries before going through security and did not try to use them while onboard an aircraft. (That's frowned upon)

questnz

I take one scanner on all International my trips. As above, as a precaution I remove batteries and and antenna. Always carry in my cabin luggage. Never a problem.

GROCKSHD

Premium Subscriber

Not today ISIS:cool:

oracavon

I've flown quite often with a carry-on full of radios. I've never had a problem with TSA/airport security at any airport (All USA domestic) I removed the antennas and batteries before going through security and did not try to use them while onboard an aircraft. (That's frowned upon)

That could cause a delay going through security at some airports. Sometimes they ask you to turn the radio on to prove that it's really a radio and not something bad disguised as a radio (that's happened to me). So if you have to go digging into your bag to get the batteries and put them into the radio so you can turn it on for them, it's going to cause a delay getting through security, especially if you have multiple radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.