Bringing my Alinco scanner with me to US (Chicago) - should I bring it from the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M6LKM

Hi,

My name is Luke and I am a radio amateur (callsign M6LKM) and aircraft enthusiast from Liverpool UK. I am travelling to Chicago (flying into OHare ORD) in May for 5 nights with my parents. I am looking forward to my trip but as I am an aircraft enthusiast I want to bring by Alinco DJX11E scanner with me to listen to the ATC, weather band frequencies etc. However there are a few things that I am concerned about. The first is this is an "unblocked" scanner purchased in the UK which does not have the cellular bands blocked out - and I have read that there is a law in the US which prohibits the "import" of scanners capable of receiving these bands. However it does appear to comply with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. I emailed Customs and Border Protection and they said contact the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) so I gave them a call and they put me though to someone at the FCC Office of Engineering and Technology and I asked him to clarify the legal position regarding bringing my scanner in for personal use - I told him the frequency range and he said it is OK to bring into the US as long as it does not cause interference and as he said I don't intend to bring it in for sale "import" does not apply. I also asked will I have any issues at customs and he said no as again it is coming with me for personal use. But I am still a bit concerned about going through customs with it as in one way I want to take it because I love listening to aircraft but on the other hand I do not want to run the risk of having an expensive piece of kit confiscated - I am just asking if anyone has had any similar experiences and do you think I should take the scanner and if I do should everything go smoothly - also my parents are pretty anti me taking it as they think that it could cause problems with our journey if customs want to investigate it or if I was using it in the airport and attracted the attention of the authorities - especially in the climate of security paranoia which is prevalent in the US - again any advice? I do not want myself or my parents loosing sleep over this issue especially considering I am very excited about coming to Chicago and ORD.

Luke

DickH

Hi,

My name is Luke and I am a radio amateur (callsign M6LKM) and aircraft enthusiast from Liverpool UK. I am travelling to Chicago (flying into OHare ORD) in May for 5 nights with my parents. I am looking forward to my trip but as I am an aircraft enthusiast I want to bring by Alinco DJX11E scanner with me to listen to the ATC, weather band frequencies etc. However there are a few things that I am concerned about. The first is this is an "unblocked" scanner purchased in the UK which does not have the cellular bands blocked out - and I have read that there is a law in the US which prohibits the "import" of scanners capable of receiving these bands. However it does appear to comply with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. I emailed Customs and Border Protection and they said contact the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) so I gave them a call and they put me though to someone at the FCC Office of Engineering and Technology and I asked him to clarify the legal position regarding bringing my scanner in for personal use - I told him the frequency range and he said it is OK to bring into the US as long as it does not cause interference and as he said I don't intend to bring it in for sale "import" does not apply. I also asked will I have any issues at customs and he said no as again it is coming with me for personal use. But I am still a bit concerned about going through customs with it as in one way I want to take it because I love listening to aircraft but on the other hand I do not want to run the risk of having an expensive piece of kit confiscated - I am just asking if anyone has had any similar experiences and do you think I should take the scanner and if I do should everything go smoothly - also my parents are pretty anti me taking it as they think that it could cause problems with our journey if customs want to investigate it or if I was using it in the airport and attracted the attention of the authorities - especially in the climate of security paranoia which is prevalent in the US - again any advice? I do not want myself or my parents loosing sleep over this issue especially considering I am very excited about coming to Chicago and ORD.

Luke

No one is going to know what it is if you DON'T TELL THEM. Pack it in a checked bag, not in a carryon bag. If, in the unlikely chance anyone asks, just say it's to listen to the weather and airplanes. Don't offer any information.

MarkWestin

You are more likely to have problems at the security scan than at customs. I always carry all my electronic devices in my carry on bag. I was asked once why I had so many rechargeable batteries in my carry on. You may be asked to turn your radio(s) on to prove that they actually work. The last time that I went through customs while flying, they only seemed to be interested in whether I was carrying any fresh fruit or dairy products with me. As for listening in the airport, just use some headphones like you would with a mp3 player. I have heard of people having problems while using "professional looking" earplug type earphones (not the "earbuds" type).

Mark

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Scanner from UK

I traveled to Ireland last year with my scanner and a HT. I had no problems with them in my carry on. If you use it while in an airport, an earphone is a must.

Status
Not open for further replies.