British Antarctic Survey Calgary Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
On the Flightradar24.com site, I have noticed a plane labelled as British Antarctic Survey out of Springbank this summer. It appears to be active when summer storms have been passing the area. I noticed it again this afternoon just as some storms were building and seeding was being done by Hail Stop. Their web site does not mention any activity around here. Nothing is listed to British Antarctic Survey on ISED sites. Not sure what I would be listening to on Air frequencies. I do see that the aircraft are based out of Springbank but still wonder what they are doing when storms are present.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
What's the tail number/registration?

IIRC Kenn Borek has had planes with that logo/name on them in the past.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
I know it gets COLD in Alberta
But sending in the British Antarctic Survey?!?!
Isn’t that just a little over the top?

Perhaps they just need recalibrate their GPS, and remember to remember that Antarctica’s latitude settings for the planes autopilot are SOUTH latitudes.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I know it gets COLD in Alberta
But sending in the British Antarctic Survey?!?!
Isn’t that just a little over the top?

Perhaps they just need recalibrate their GPS, and remember to remember that Antarctica’s latitude settings for the planes autopilot are SOUTH latitudes.
Evidently the planes return to Springbank when the Antarctic is too cold and dark to fly safely.
The next time I see the planes showing on Flightradar I will see if I can capture the number.

Status
Not open for further replies.