Broadcast BCD996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

iNickster

Premium Subscriber
I have a Uniden BCD996XT scanner, and I might want to broadcast it over the internet. What do I have to do to do that, if I wanted to broadcast it not on RR

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
I have a Uniden BCD996XT scanner, and I might want to broadcast it over the internet. What do I have to do to do that, if I wanted to broadcast it not on RR

Set up your own server to serve the same function as the one Radio Reference has. Lots of folks do this, although primarily for music netcasts rather than scanners. There are also a number of stream hosts out there who offer crappy service for free and better service for money, take your pick. That's why most scanner stream owners send their streams through Radio Reference even with their policy restrictions; it's dedicated to scanner hobbyists and it's free.

I think you can still find the rather detailed instructions on Shoutcast which has been around the longest. Then there is also icecast which works the same from the listener's perspective but is newer and a lot more techy.

Either way, it's pretty involved and if you're not a technical person by nature or don't have a lot of time to mess with setting up an icecast server you might find it to be quite daunting. Even setting up the stream encoder part of the feed seems to give some people fits as there really is nothing plug-and-play about it, based on some of the feeds that I have monitored that sound pretty awful.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
I used ProScan a while back so I could listen to my scanner while out of town.

I set up a NO-IP.org for it.

Not what you would call a "gereral broadcast" but it was perfect for my specific desires.

Gave me the ability to control the scanner remotely too. You can hold/resume, turn banks on and off (was using a 269 at the time).

Super easy to set it up.

Having a look at the newst version says "RadioFeed - Source Client - Streams audio to RadioReference, Icecast, and ShoutCast servers."

Last edited:

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
I used ProScan a while back so I could listen to my scanner while out of town.

I set up a NO-IP.org for it.

Not what you would call a "gereral broadcast" but it was perfect for my specific desires.

Having a look at the newst version says "RadioFeed - Source Client - Streams audio to RadioReference, Icecast, and ShoutCast servers."

Yes, that's what I use on all my feeds, Radio Feed is excellent. You can either listen directly to the radio feed server or send your stream to a Shoutcast or icecast server; I do the latter to let the server take the pounding on the public i.p.

I assumed the o.p. wanted to "broadcast" to the general public, not just extend the stream privately to himself. If he just wants to listen to his own scanner when he's not there then it would be a simpler setup, as long as he allows the Radio Feed port through his firewall.

NYRHKY94

Proscan will do everything you are looking for and more. You can program your 996XT and set-up a feed in a matter of minutes and broadcast either publicly or privately to yourself and others. In addition, you will be able to remotely access & control the feed while you are away. Best all-in-one scanner software for Unidens IMO. Fully functional free 30-day trial as well, so you have nothing to lose.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Proscan will do everything you are looking for and more. You can program your 996XT and set-up a feed in a matter of minutes and broadcast either publicly or privately to yourself and others. In addition, you will be able to remotely access & control the feed while you are away. Best all-in-one scanner software for Unidens IMO. Fully functional free 30-day trial as well, so you have nothing to lose.

I would never advertise a publicly available feed on my home Internet connection. The kidd33z will attack it relentlessly as soon as they think it is a server worth cracking.

Good luck.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Did you read the link I gave you in a previous message? There's a LOT of information there...anything in blue, both here and in our wiki, is a link...Mike

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
What cable do I need to hook the scanner to the internet?

No cable from scanner to the internet. The scanner hooks up to the computer. The computer hooks up to the internet.

You will need an audio cable from one of the scanner audio out jacks(I like the external speaker jack) to one of the computer audio in jacks(Line in or Mic)

For streaming text tags, you will need a RS-232 cable from the scanner to the computer. If your computer doesn't have a RS-232 port then you will need a RS-232 to USB converter. If you have a Uniden USB-1 cable, then that is all you need.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.