Broadcast Recordings - The Buzz 103.1 / WPBZ S. Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

NENihilismFront

I got grumpy and left.
Hey all,

If any of y'all grew up in South Florida and are over the age of 25, chances are you remember a radio station called The Buzz 103.1. For the unintiated, it was an Alternative/Heavy Rock station based out of West Palm Beach that remained on the airwaves for 16 years from 1995-2011. It was very popular, at least for the first decade or so, partly due to the 90s alt-rock explosion and a morning talk show that leaned into the "edgy" humor of the time. Because of its popularity, it had a lasting effect on the alt-rock scene in SFL, hosting many of its own events including a festival concert, the Buzz Bake Sale. Unfortunately its demise came as an abrupt format change in 2011.

I know most wouldn't care about preserving anything from a radio station, but because of The Buzz's longevity and the impact it had on the sound and scene of the often overlooked SFL, I find myself compelled to save as much as I can of it before it fades from public memory. So far, I've got a lot of pictures, news articles, and webpage archives, but I've had very little luck with audio from broadcasts or video from events aside from what little is on YouTube. I found current email addresses for pretty much the entire former staff from DJs up to Program Director, but got either silence or a "bother this guy instead" when I asked.

So I know it's a long shot, but I'm hoping someone out there has either some old cassettes with bumpers or commercials from The Buzz 103.1 or maybe even video from one of their events or concerts. It's all gonna go on archive.org. (In particular, there were apparently two "Greatest Hits" CDs the station used to sell of segments from its morning show, the Morning Buzz. I know they exist because one of the DJs admitted to having them to me by email but won't send them.)

Thanks in advance and let me know of anywhere else I should post this!!

radioman2008

Batlabs user Wazzzzzzzzup (2001-Present)
Premium Subscriber
hope you find your recordings.

Im doing alot of FM Broadcast recording of the Tampa bay area over the last 15 years, with most in the last 5

I wish I could find some early recordings of Tampa Bays 97X 97.1 FM particularly complete morning shows including commercials and news/traffic reports, sometime in the early to mid 2000's

danesgs

My dad was a news reporter for WGBS in Miami during the 60's He had a flub he made during a recording that ended up on one of the "Bluppers" albums. Pop covered the Cuban missile crisis, 3 major Florida hurricanes and later worked at VOA here in DC. He passed away from cancer in 1999 but I have preserved some of his stuff on a website and have been trying to digitize a lot of his reel-to reel and cassette audio. Cannot post the "Buzzard" here as its too large but found this link on YouTube

I would email the reporters for "The Buzz" if you know their email addresses and tell them what you are trying to do.

Spencer Eads Danes

Greg-KJ4DGE

danesgs

My Dad's blooper starts around the 32:53 mark on the above YouTube. He tried to do the news report like 4 times and almost got through it until he hit the name of the navy pilot that hit the "Buzzard" and had to eject. Pilot was OK but no word on the buzzard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.