Broadcast TV tower repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I expanded a photo. The company is Helicopter Transport Services. They are licensed for 5 mobile itinerant frequencies in Oregon:
It is a beautiful view from the top of the tower. I have been up there many times working on our 2-way base station and microwave equipment.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I expanded a photo. The company is Helicopter Transport Services. They are licensed for 5 mobile itinerant frequencies in Oregon:
It is a beautiful view from the top of the tower. I have been up there many times working on our 2-way base station and microwave equipment.
I thought a tower climbing service did that? I had a friend at UMD who worked for one - always enjoyed his stories, particularly the one where he had to jump onto the tower to avoid being shocked, lol.

tvengr

Well Known Member
There is a 2-man elevator that goes up the center of the tower. It takes about 8 minutes to go up and 5 minutes to come down. There is a 2-story enclosure at the 900' level where the 2-way radios and microwave equipment are located. We call it the penthouse. The transmission lines come up the center of the tower and branch out to the antennas from within the penthouse. You can open the doors on the enclosed area and go out on catwalks around the penthouse and to the corners of the tower. We had the wind move a dish used for the live shot link back to the studio. The first thing you do is tie your wrench to the railing. While sitting on the edge of the catwalk, I loosened the bolts on the dish and kicked it with my foot to move it while another engineer at the station watched the signal strength. Once peaked, the bolts were tightened down. You also have to stop the elevator and the 300' and 600' levels and climb out on platforms to do tower light checks. I actually enjoyed the work. I never felt any sway on the tower, even in high winds. It is very well guyed. We always said that an optimist is someone who falls from the top of the tower and as he passes 500' says "So Far, So Good!"

Last edited:

richwig

There is a 2 man elevator that goes up the center of the tower. It takes about 8 minutes to go up and 5 minutes to come down. There is a 2-story enclosure at the 900' level where the 2-way radios and microwave equipment are located. We call it the penthouse. The transmission lines come up the center of the tower and branch out to the antennas from within the penthouse. You can open the doors on the enclosed area and go out on catwalks around the penthouse and to the corners of the tower. We had the wind move a dish used for the live shot link back to the studio. The first thing you do is tie your wrench to the railing. While sitting on the edge of the catwalk, I loosened the bolts on the dish and kicked it with my foot to move it while another engineer at the station watched the signal strength. Once peaked, the bolts were tightened down. You also have to stop the elevator and the 300' and 600' levels and climb out on platforms to do tower light checks. I actually enjoyed the work. I never felt any sway on the tower, even in high winds. It is very well guyed. We always said that an optimist is someone who falls from the top of the tower and as he passes 500' says "So Far, So Good!"

Our 2000' tower needs a 20-minute ride to get to within 200' of the top; the last 200' is a skinnier stub our TV transmit antenna is mounted to. I've never had the pleasure...the insurance company won't let us ride, only trained tower guys. If the elevator breaks (and it has), it's a looooong climb down the ladder.

firebal

Premium Subscriber
There is a 2-man elevator that goes up the center of the tower. It takes about 8 minutes to go up and 5 minutes to come down. There is a 2-story enclosure at the 900' level where the 2-way radios and microwave equipment are located. We call it the penthouse. The transmission lines come up the center of the tower and branch out to the antennas from within the penthouse. You can open the doors on the enclosed area and go out on catwalks around the penthouse and to the corners of the tower. We had the wind move a dish used for the live shot link back to the studio. The first thing you do is tie your wrench to the railing. While sitting on the edge of the catwalk, I loosened the bolts on the dish and kicked it with my foot to move it while another engineer at the station watched the signal strength. Once peaked, the bolts were tightened down. You also have to stop the elevator and the 300' and 600' levels and climb out on platforms to do tower light checks. I actually enjoyed the work. I never felt any sway on the tower, even in high winds. It is very well guyed. We always said that an optimist is someone who falls from the top of the tower and as he passes 500' says "So Far, So Good!"
Very cool! Thanks for sharing! What is the second tower to the right in the video. I've always wondered who had which antennas and towers up on TV hill.

AdamHLG

The other tower is channel 45. It is about 600' from the candelabra. Channels 2, 11, and 13 are on the candelabra.

It is interesting to me that these 4 massive transmitting antennae right next to each other do not cause massive interference with one another.

Thanks for sharing the above posts - - that was very interesting.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
It is interesting to me that these 4 massive transmitting antennae right next to each other do not cause massive interference with one another.

Thanks for sharing the above posts - - that was very interesting.
Keyword = transmitting. If some were receive antennas, things would likely be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.