Broadcastify Calls Network Utilization

Status
Not open for further replies.

n8zrp

I'm a current feed provider considering being a Broadcastify Calls ingest provider (for a metro area not currently fed into Calls).

Can anyone tell me what is the 'ballpark' network utilization will a 'typical' busy metro/county P25 system consume when feeding the Broadcast Calls system?

I'm currently watching our county wide system and occasionally seeing 20+ audio calls simultaneously at times. Not sure of the codec/compression settings for Calls to calculate this on my own (for audio) - or what the typical control traffic utilization is.

Also hoping for some empirical data from actual users or Broadcastify. If this is not known - would it be possible to setup a test feed so it could be measured?

I ask because I have a relatively low upstream Internet connection (asymmetric) - which is not an issue with a single audio feed.

Currently experimenting with SDRTrunk 0.50.

Thanks

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
This is a great question. I don’t have any empirical data right now... but it will be quite a bit more “bursty” vs a constant bitrate like the current legacy audio streams since the uploads are sent up on demand for each call.

If we are talking about the system I’m thinking you are, we might want to start by maybe just setting up a calls system node and having you feed the Fire Department and/or Police Department talkgroups only, via SDRTrunk, and then see what the impact is on your asymmetric line. I believe you can filter the talkgroups you want to send up in lieu of sending the whole system up to start. We can work from there.

Submit an app and we’ll be glad to work with you to get it going.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
And just for future reference, you can feed to broadcastify calls as much or as little as you would like - others could fill in the blanks and feed other talkgroups to calls for the same system- we perform call de-duplication on our end so multiple feeder sites can send differerent content, or overlapping content, backing each other up or supplementing each other. I’m really really excited how this is coming together.

aaknitt

Feed Provider
As one data point, my TR setup that's recording everything on one county of this system creates about 550 MB of .m4a audio files per day. That's every talkgroup on the system though, so more than many people would likely upload.

n8zrp

Thanks for the feedback. That appears to be about 51Kbit/sec with assumptions (constant thruput, similar codec/compression, etc) for the audio component. Less than I would of expected. I'm still working thru some issues with SDRTrunk. I may be able to serve up multiple systems even.

Status
Not open for further replies.