Broadcastify Feeds Now Supported on Alexa Devices

noJ

Premium Subscriber
Mine is working currently, but I get a 30 second Progressive commercial first.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
This definitely works. There is an audio advert that is initially loaded, even with my premium account, but it works fine. As Blanton noted, that app has no info on whether one is a premium user, or not, so the advertisement plays at the beginning.

As to the stream playing music, I recommend reading the linked instructions again and pay particular attention where it notes about the URL above. In other words, do not use the Broadcastify URL (broadcastify.com), but just the particular feed number at the end of https://broadcastify.cdnstream1.com/

jasferriter

Premium Subscriber
Did you follow the link at the top of this thread to set up your url? Also note the post above which says there’s not much you can do about the commercial, at least for now.

tomn2tsr

Feed Provider
@blantonl The linked article contains a typo...
Broadcastify Feeds can be played for free on any Amazon Alex supported devices
Also near the end...
  • Tell your Alexa Device: "Alex, tell Radio Browser to Play #1" - or whatever order number you specified.

That is, unless Amazon released an opposite gender device I'm unfamiliar with, lol

Last edited:

tomn2tsr

Feed Provider
By the way, this is SOOO cool. Now, when I go out on a "worker", the Mrs can say, "Alexa, play Morris County Ops" and she can here me in all my spectacular glory!

allie1226

Premium Subscriber
It is great! I stacked mine to FDNY #1 All boros #2-#6 for each Boro so if they get a job I just say Alexa NEXT until it says the Boro I want to monitor.

lgcooper

KA2ISM
Premium Subscriber
Thank you to all who make this Alexa skill possible!!
It took me a while to get it configured properly but it works great!
If the admins will permit it, I thought I'd clarify a few things for others to prevent the initial missteps I made.

First search for Radio Browser in the Alexa app under Settings -> Skills & Games. But don't get discouraged by the 17,293 results returned.
Look carefully, and the first item in the list will likely be Radio Browser in small text. Click on that to Enable it.​

From a web browser, open the page to access the Radio Browser channel entries: Alexa Skill Radio Browser - TuneIn alternative
First look at the default radio browser station list at the bottom, as when you add stations it will overwrite this default list starting at number 1.
(I took a screen shot of it as there are some good streaming stations I may want to listen to in the future)
Tell Alexa to "Start Radio Browser" and say "Alexa ask radio browser for password"
Use that password to login after you click on "Accept technically necessary cookies" to enable password field.​

From here you can browse the Radio Browser database of 27,000 entries and include any of interest in your default list of 100 by clicking on the + sign at the right of each entry (as you do it will start replacing entries in your default list starting at number 1).​
Click "Back to Homepage" and click on "Edit favorites list".

As described in the Broadcastify link (https://broadcastify.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/5372550425499), in a separate browser tab go to Broadcastify.com and select the audio stream of interest. Look carefully at the URL and remember the stream number at the end..​

Back on the Radio Browser configuration (under "Edit favorites list") click on "Add URL" on the top menu.
Enter the channel number to use, the station name you want displayed and the URL of the audio stream.
But don't use the URL from the Broadcastify web page! Instead use the URL below but substitute your desired stream number at the end!
https://broadcastify.cdnstream1.com/4905 (i.e.: https://broadcastify.cdnstream1.com/12174 for Monroe County Fire)
Note: Radio Browser will always start on channel 1, so make that entry the one you want to listen to by default.
Click on "Add" and verify that it was entered properly in the station list at the desired number.​
Repeat "Add URL" to add and additional Broadcastify channels to the Radio Browser list.​

Then either say "Alexa restart" to begin at channel 1, or say "Alexa tell radio browser to play number XX" to choose a specific channel.
Once I understood how everything worked it was a breeze to edit and add additional streams!

lgcooper

KA2ISM
Premium Subscriber
Seems I can't edit my previous post so let me provide a quick update:
I've been working with the developer of the Radio Browser skill for Alexa and he has fixed the problem with the station description not always updating properly when switching between manually entered stations. Hats off to him for being super responsive to my support questions!
Also, change the word "channel" in my previous post to "station"! Alexa doesn't understand the word "channel" with regard to Radio Browser.
OH - and DON'T disable the skill or you will lose your station list! (learned that the hard way <grin>)
If you like the skill please leave the developer a review on the Radio Browser skill web page:

KJ4LZM

I've been working with the developer of the Radio Browser skill for Alexa and he has fixed the problem with the station description not always updating properly when switching between manually entered stations. Hats off to him for being super responsive to my support questions!
Also, change the word "channel" in my previous post to "station"! Alexa doesn't understand the word "channel" with regard to Radio Browser.
OH - and DON'T disable the skill or you will lose your station list! (learned that the hard way <grin>)
If you like the skill please leave the developer a review on the Radio Browser skill web page:

Thanks so much for your instructions! I am making a spreadsheet with all the urls just in case the app crashes. You can export your list to CSV.

imonitorit

What link did you select to get that url?
Go to liveatc.net
On the left side click on "LiveATC Mobile" mobile browser
Click on pages to find the feed your interested in
Click on feed to open new tab
Click on play, when feed starts cut and paste URL from that tab into your Radio Browser program list.

I noticed you might have to give the command "Alexa, refresh radio browser" if it times out.

hjd461

How did you fix after disabling? I did the same thing

How to make a new favorites list after disabling the skill?

Shae_Clark

I have absolutely loved this feature & have used it regularly for the past couple of months, but the past few days it hasn't been working 😔
Alexa will play the feed for just a few minutes & then will say something along the lines of "I cannot play the channel. On the skills website in the FAQ section, you can find possible fixes." & stops playing.
Any idea on how I can fix this??
I went & double-checked that all of the links were still correct & they are.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator