Broadcastify Raspberry Pi Feed Appliance Image v1.0 (BETA)

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm excited to announce the release of the "New and Improved" Broadcastify Raspberry Pi Feed Appliance Image in beta format for your review and implementation.

The image should support most Raspberry Pi hardware from Pi version 2 through the latest Raspberry Pi 4 hardware.

The image features the following preconfigured and installed software.
  • Darkice - Audio Streamer for Broadcastify Feeds (up to 4 feeds)
  • Trunk Recorder - SDR Trunked Radio Capture Software for Broadcastify Calls
  • RTL-Airband - SDR Capture and Broadcastify Feed Software for AM Aircraft
  • VoxCall - Broadcastify Calls Audio Capture Software
  • BCFY Shell - Management shell for configuration, management, and update of Broadcastify Feed Services
For those of you interested in running a trunk-recorder Broadcastify Calls node, Trunk Recorder has been compiled with multiple airspy support.

Your feedback and questions are welcome.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Recommended Raspberry Pi Hardware is shown at the link in the post. Cost approx $100.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Recommended Raspberry Pi Hardware is shown at the link in the post. Cost approx $100.
It's tested and working nicely on Rpi2 hardware, which is fairly older and can probably be picked up for 20-30 bucks max.

I probably have about 20 of them laying around.

But for turn key solutions, the Canakit packages at the link are a fantastic solution and replacement for using a full desktop computer. I'm prety excited about it.

siesel

Premium Subscriber
Lindsay,

How would this work with Ham Radio operators using Allstarlink (Asterisk)? Right now most of use ezstream to take it and send it to Broadcastify. I am experiencing growing CPU usage till the Raspberry Pi fails. Any thoughts?

Steve
K4KSA

W3VVV

I think the instructions referenced in the announcement email that you sent should be clarified to say that a soundcard is not needed when using an RTL-SDR, such as when using Trunk Recorder to provide a feed to the Broadcastify Calls service.

Last edited:

MTL_Emergencies

Member++
Database Admin
I really like the concept!

Would OP25 be available for newer version of the Image?
Lots of people streaming on Broadcastify (including myself) are using OP25.

jsncrso

KN4ZVZ
Feed Provider
Looks great! Thank you for making this easier. I may migrate to this image on my Pi. One question though, how about alpha tag support?

EDIT: Just saw Lindsay's reply above. Tags would be a good addition in the future.

Last edited:

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
Sounds interesting I have several hotspots that run on raspberry pi for fusion and DMR. I will have to look into this more. What I don't like is that it does not support tags. I spoiled my listeners with tags...lol

presw

Feed Provider
Lindsay,

How would this work with Ham Radio operators using Allstarlink (Asterisk)? Right now most of use ezstream to take it and send it to Broadcastify. I am experiencing growing CPU usage till the Raspberry Pi fails. Any thoughts?

Steve
K4KSA
It wouldn't be used at all as far as I can see. HamVOIP streams its audio to the encoder (lame) and the streamer (ezstream) directly though the outstreamcmd in rpt.conf... since you're having CPU issues look into WA3DSP's comments on a watchdog that checks CPU usage and restarts ezstream when it misbehaves. I run streams, web servers, and ten nodes in one RPi4 with no issues. Pres W2PW

presw

Feed Provider
I'm excited to announce the release of the "New and Improved" Broadcastify Raspberry Pi Feed Appliance Image in beta format for your review and implementation.

The image should support most Raspberry Pi hardware from Pi version 2 through the latest Raspberry Pi 4 hardware.

The image features the following preconfigured and installed software.
  • Darkice - Audio Streamer for Broadcastify Feeds (up to 4 feeds)
  • Trunk Recorder - SDR Trunked Radio Capture Software for Broadcastify Calls
  • RTL-Airband - SDR Capture and Broadcastify Feed Software for AM Aircraft
  • VoxCall - Broadcastify Calls Audio Capture Software
  • BCFY Shell - Management shell for configuration, management, and update of Broadcastify Feed Services
For those of you interested in running a trunk-recorder Broadcastify Calls node, Trunk Recorder has been compiled with multiple airspy support.

Your feedback and questions are welcome.
I am REALLY stoked to try this also!

W3VVV

Last edited:

NYRHKY94

Sounds nice, but I will only broadcast feeds with Alpha Tags. I strongly prefer to listen to those that have them as well. It makes the monitoring experience so much better. Just sharing...

fury88

Damn! Wish this was out a year ago. 😂 this is almost exactly the setup I’m running. Same software and RPI device. Had to set this up from scratch but I can vouch that this is brilliant will work great. I may switch over to this if it’s going to get regular support. Every time I have to update mine I wound up breaking something due to library or config changes. Thankfully, I’ve only done it twice. The only thing I wish gqrx had was a way to launch and immediately play. Haven’t coded C in awhile but I might need to see if I can add that feature. I’m trying to work on a fool proof way to keep the weather radio service from going down.
Great job team!

-MF

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
It would be helpful if the instructions gave some guidance as to what which SDR dongles or devices are suitable to make setup easier for those who are new to Trunk Recorder.

I am using the https://www.nooelec.com/store/nesdr-smart-sdr.html. For those who don't have an antenna, the same SDR is available with an antenna kit as https://www.nooelec.com/store/sdr/sdr-receivers/nesdr-smart.html
We're still filling out all the documentation for all the difference services that are supported. Interested in seeing how the appliance works in the different environments out there as we gather lessons learned.

More info coming on configuration steps and options and tools for Broadcastify Calls oriented tools.... stay tuned.