Broadcastify Raspberry Pi Feed Appliance Image v1.0 (BETA)

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Okay, we are getting there, I feel better about it. Used your Config.json and it is working, but I am still not connecting to the calls ingest. Is there something I'm missing with the connection process?
you are not getting a control channel decode.

You probably don't have the correct PPMs on your dongles, or you aren't in range of the control channels, or you haven't specified the correct control channels.

Use the GQRX method on both RTL devices on the control channel for the Wake County system.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
you are not getting a control channel decode.

You probably don't have the correct PPMs on your dongles, or you aren't in range of the control channels, or you haven't specified the correct control channels.

Use the GQRX method on both RTL devices on the control channel for the Wake County system.

FINALLY IT IS WORKING! Had to change the center frequency between the two dongles, TR didn't like the sequence. Also some audio is clear while others are short beeps or garbled, what might be causing this?

853.5375c853.9625a853.7875a853.150a853.7625a
NOTE: I omitted 853.9625 as it is being used for testing the new P25 system they are setting up.

Attachments

• 2021-05-02-155514_1600x1200_scrot.png
    2021-05-02-155514_1600x1200_scrot.png
    729 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
The new Broadcastify image that was just released I need to know how to open the darkice config files in the terminal window. Can someone help me with this?

CD /home/pi/bcfy/configs/darkice
sudo nano darkice_1.cfg (or whatever the file name is)

DC31

Feed Provider
In your darkice.cfg:

# this section describes the audio input that will be streamed
[input]
device = default # OSS DSP soundcard device for the audio input
sampleRate = 11025 # sample rate in Hz. try 11025, 22050 or 44100
bitsPerSample = 16 # bits per sample. try 16
channel = 1 # channels. 1 = mono, 2 = stereo

ke4ldu

In your darkice.cfg:

# this section describes the audio input that will be streamed
[input]
device = default # OSS DSP soundcard device for the audio input
sampleRate = 11025 # sample rate in Hz. try 11025, 22050 or 44100
bitsPerSample = 16 # bits per sample. try 16
channel = 1 # channels. 1 = mono, 2 = stereo

Thanks

ke4ldu

With this new Broadcastify image, I have 3 feeds now on 1 pi. There use to be only about a 25 second delay from original transmission on the radio. Now it seems I have about a 2 min delay. Anyone know why?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Okay, all is working had to reduce it to one SDR as was missing a good deal of calls for the freq range of one of the SDRs. Question is some calls are crystal clear, others totally digital, others are a combination of the two. What settings would I need to tweek to improve this?

AtlasFBG2

Back in 2017 i bought a Pi 2 Model B to run my feed. I am not experienced in Linux and tried to follow the wiki but could not get it work. So i tossed it in a box. I got the email about this image and after reading this thread for a couple weeks decided to give it another try.

Got my feed up and running in maybe 10 minutes. I am using a upgraded Pro 668 and a usb sound card with the Pi2. Been running for a day so far with no problems.

Thanks for making this image.

My feed has a p25 trunked system, a couple analog frequencies and a couple DMR frequencies. Would i be able to use a sdr dongle to cover those three systems and eliminate using the scanner?

edweirdFL

I've made good progress on getting a Calls feed setup on a new Pi4. The image was easy. Editing the JSON was a real challenge but I got one of the examples edited and it starts without errors now. Got a response and a API key pretty quick over the weekend too, so thanks to the admins for that.

My known issues are figuring out why I can't get video via VNC when running headless, and then getting a strong enough signal to the SDR. I have enough patience to work on it for about 2 hours a day, so tomorrow I hope to solve those and see what happens next.

I also got a second Pi4 and the soundcards for setting up some conventional feeds next. The BCFY image was what made me give it a try now.

DC31

Feed Provider
My known issues are figuring out why I can't get video via VNC when running headless, and then getting a strong .

try changing your screen resolution. You will need to use sudo raspi-config at the command prompt in a terminal window. I find that Mode16 1024x768 works well as a starting point.

ke4ldu

With this new Broadcastify image, I have 3 feeds now on 1 pi. There use to be only about a 25 second delay from original transmission on the radio. Now it seems I have about a 2 min delay. Anyone know why?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Thought it was working good, but overnight it stopped and began giving me problems. Am now using two dongles, but the problem I am having is the first set of frequencies (dongle using low center freq) are choppy, garbled and can not understand them. The frequencies in the upper range (dongle using higher center freq) sound clear and without problems. Also keeps stopping as it can not find control ch that is showing active on GQRX.

Thinking it was the dongle I switched them and are still having the same problem. Have run both RTL_Test and GQRX using both dongles and the PPM and gain are set correctly.

Any thoughts on what the issue might be?

2021-05-03-112525_1600x1200_scrot.png

Attachments

• config.json.txt
    1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Choppy audio probably means overtaxing the CPU.

That is a big system to be capturing using a Rpi

That's what I was thinking after seeing the quantity of calls being recorded. If I can't get consistent decent audio I am sorry but I can't see the value in doing it, especially since I can't afford another 12 dongles right now. Thanks for your help in attempting to get it working.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
That's what I was thinking after seeing the quantity of calls being recorded. If I can't get consistent decent audio I am sorry but I can't see the value in doing it, especially since I can't afford another 12 dongles right now. Thanks for your help in attempting to get it working.
no worries - fun learning experience for you.

Bigger machine would probably ingest the whole system just fine.