Broadcastify Raspberry Pi Feed Appliance Image v1.0 (BETA)

fury88

Has anyone every figured out the connection refused issue on Loopback audio? I don't care about that so much as why I can no longer stream audio but now dead air.

I've been running this appliance build for months now and it's been so stable. Had a power outage the other day long enough for it to die when I was not home. Now I can't get the audio back up. I've tried everything I can thing of. I know the sdr is working because it records to disk but won't stream. Even bought a new USB sound device and reimaged fresh but I'm having the same problem. It's baffling me so much!

fury88

Raspberry pi OS comes with Real VNC preinstalled. Have you tried that?
I second this. It works great. I’m not familiar with TeamViewer but VNC should give you most if not all of wha lt you need.

Has anyone every figured out the connection refused issue on Loopback audio? I don't care about that so much as why I can no longer stream audio but now dead air.

I've been running this appliance build for months now and it's been so stable. Had a power outage the other day long enough for it to die when I was not home. Now I can't get the audio back up. I've tried everything I can thing of. I know the sdr is working because it records to disk but won't stream. Even bought a new USB sound device and reimaged fresh but I'm having the same problem. It's baffling me so much!

Also want to chime in on my own post here and say that if anyone is having odd behavior with darkice then take a look at liquidsoap. I was able to get that up and running rather quickly and I’m not having the problems of darkice.

VK2GEL

Thanks for replies. I need access to the Pi remotely, not via the Pi’s LAN. Will VNC do that?

G

fury88

Yes. That’s exactly what VNC is. It’s been around forever. There are free versions and there are ones that you can pay more for to get extra security. Check out RealVNC. It’s probably the most popular.

Download the free viewer on whatever desktop you’d like to connect from. Then enter your IP address. I won’t get into the technical details but it’s already set up to connect in the simplest form. If you’re connecting on your LAN it’s pretty straightforward. If you’re trying to connect over the internet it’s more technical with firewalls etc.

Download it and try it out. If you need more help then drop in and one of us will guide you more.

-Matt

VK2GEL

Just rebooted the pi with VNC from outside the LAN. Works great thank you.

Is anyone else needing to reboot about every month?

G.

AdamHLG

I have a single feed on Broadcastify that uses 2 radios on a "left" and "right" channel. I read this entire thread and saw a few posts about editing the Darkice config file to specify stereo feed.

Has anyone done this successfully with the RPI appliance to run a stereo feed? We got the RPI built but we are still broadcasting with our legacy system because we cannot figure out how to get the RPI appliance to work with our stereo configuration. We will try to edit that config file, but in the meantime did anyone get a stereo feed working? Thanks.

Kingscup

Feed Provider
I have a single feed on Broadcastify that uses 2 radios on a "left" and "right" channel. I read this entire thread and saw a few posts about editing the Darkice config file to specify stereo feed.

Has anyone done this successfully with the RPI appliance to run a stereo feed? We got the RPI built but we are still broadcasting with our legacy system because we cannot figure out how to get the RPI appliance to work with our stereo configuration. We will try to edit that config file, but in the meantime did anyone get a stereo feed working? Thanks.

I believe I was the original poster you referenced. I have a stereo feed and it broadcasting both scanners to the right and left channels at the same time. I assume you are having the same problem. I fixed it with my answer below.

try manually edit your darkice config file and change the "channel" setting from "1" to "2"

Code:
nano /home/pi/bcfy/configs/darkice/darkice_1.cfg

For me, there was an extra step in order for my stereo feed to start working properly. It has been awhile since I made the change so I am not positive on the correct answer but I believe it was changing the bitrate under the "icecast2-0" heading from 16 to 32 along with "channels" number from 1 to 2 before it started working properly. Also, the original location of the darkice file in the previous answer was wrong and I have modified the code above to be the correct location.

Attachments

• icecast.png
    icecast.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 5

AdamHLG

Thank you! This may be very helpful. We are going to give this another try based on your thoughts. I’ll let you know. May be a week or so.

CRVFC500FF

I believe I was the original poster you referenced. I have a stereo feed and it broadcasting both scanners to the right and left channels at the same time. I assume you are having the same problem. I fixed it with my answer below.

For me, there was an extra step in order for my stereo feed to start working properly. It has been awhile since I made the change so I am not positive on the correct answer but I believe it was changing the bitrate under the "icecast2-0" heading from 16 to 32 along with "channels" number from 1 to 2 before it started working properly. Also, the original location of the darkice file in the previous answer was wrong and I have modified the code above to be the correct location.
I'm working with AdamHLG on this project.
I have tried editing the darkice .cfg file for stereo per the Darkice instuctions then started the BCFY shell to start the stream. When I select status it shows it just hanging there with a "starting" status. If I use the "config" selection from the BCFY shell it sets the darkice config file back to mono mode and after that the streaming to BCFY starts right up. Do I need to edit the BCFY shell script to config to stereo?

Kingscup

Feed Provider
I'm working with AdamHLG on this project.
I have tried editing the darkice .cfg file for stereo per the Darkice instuctions then started the BCFY shell to start the stream. When I select status it shows it just hanging there with a "starting" status. If I use the "config" selection from the BCFY shell it sets the darkice config file back to mono mode and after that the streaming to BCFY starts right up. Do I need to edit the BCFY shell script to config to stereo?

I am sorry but my knowledge of Darkice/Linux is very limited. I was lucky when I played around with my setting to get it to work. I am sure @blantonl or someone else will be able to help you better than I can help you.

n1ti

Feed Provider
I was off the air for about a year after many years of supporting a feed. (sold house and relocated). I was dreading the Pi config process but I was blown away by the new BCFY shell and the simplicity it brought and ease of configuration. The only real extra step was fine tuning the alsamixer. Thanks to those that put in the effort to code the shell. I can keep that Pi2 chugging along. -Tim, N1TI

n1ti

Feed Provider
Thanks for replies. I need access to the Pi remotely, not via the Pi’s LAN. Will VNC do that?

G
It will but you will have to open and forward port 5900 to your Pi's ip address. If you want to remotely manage at the command line level, then you'll need to open port 22 for SSH and use a client like Putty. If you can't do that you might consider Anydesk, which is very simple to implement both on the Pi and virtually any platform that you use as a client.

W1cjf-1

Premium Subscriber
quick question do I need a usb external sound card if I am going to use a rtl-sdr? I have it up and running, defiantly will need to goto a wired ethernet for sure but that's not a big deal. I have 2 external usb cards that work to use. With the rtl-sdr dongle its tough, takes up some real estate but i have one with a pig tail usb on it so its about all I can get to fit but works.

n1ti

Feed Provider
quick question do I need a usb external sound card if I am going to use a rtl-sdr? I have it up and running, defiantly will need to goto a wired ethernet for sure but that's not a big deal. I have 2 external usb cards that work to use. With the rtl-sdr dongle its tough, takes up some real estate but i have one with a pig tail usb on it so its about all I can get to fit but works.
You should be able to use a small USB hub on the PI to support additional devices.

W1cjf-1

Premium Subscriber
You should be able to use a small USB hub on the PI to support additional devices.
It needs to be powered or no? Figures i can not find the pig tailed usb sound card. I hooked some external speakers up to the pi and got no sound with gqrx running. Ill have to see if i can find my hub now. Thanks!

N8TWM

Feed Provider
Still trying to get a stereo feed working. Tried editing config file as stated in other posts. Does anyone have a working stereo feed that can give any advice?

timkilbride

Database Admin
How do I find the PPM correction for a airspy mini? I tried the airspy calibration tool, but the program still won't lock onto the CC using the value obtained from the calibration tool. I can get the program to work with the cheap SDR's where I can easily obtain the PPM offset.

Thanks

Tim