Broadcasting public safety using Zello

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrLoomis1978

I want to use my Zello channel to broadcast my police scanner publicly so people can listen to it on their smart phones but I don't know if that is legal or not. I'm in NYC, so if anyone knows if it's illegal to do that in NYC please tell me.

kma371

QRT
Couldn't you just stream it here?

I don't think there would be any legal issues with doing what you're trying to do

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
In a word, its ok. Disseminating communications which is in the public realm (which police, fire and EMS are for example) is a right of citizens. So long as the communications was not encrypted when transmitted and then decoded. There may be restrictions in place by certain web sites which forbid this practice but public communications are not restricted.

Last edited:

DrLoomis1978

Couldn't you just stream it here?

I don't think there would be any legal issues with doing what you're trying to do
Oh, I never knew I could stream on this site, but I'll definitely check it out. Thank you. The reason I wanted to use Zello is because I read on the net how it can be done, tried it, and it worked. So I figured why not share it with others, but now knowing about this it might actually work and sound better than Zello.

DrLoomis1978

In a word, its ok. Disseminating communications which is in the public realm (which police, fire and EMS are for example) is a right of citizens. So long as the communications was not encrypted when transmitted and then decoded. There may be restrictions in place by certain web sites which forbid this practice but public communications are not restricted.
Yes, encryption decoding would be very bad, but I don't have that capability to do it so it won't be a problem for me LOL. I'm glad to hear it's a right of citizens, but I guess I better check it out with Zello, although Zello isn't always very helpful unless you use 'Zello Work' which costs money, quite a bit of money. I always come here for answers because you guys respond so quickly and have way more knowledge about radio communications than me. Thank you for the info.

DC31

Feed Provider
I guess the best course of action is to consult an attorney.
A quick check of the Broadcastify main page shows that they claim over 5000 feeds. Probably at least 80-90% of those are public safety feeds from people who just do it without consulting any attorney. Just saying...

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Well, I would like to start a feed but I just got a response from another member with a website saying you need special permission to rebroadcast certain transmissions including public safety. So I'm kind of uncertain as to whether or not to even try.

I agree with others that being a Broadcastify Feed provider is a great idea, and gets you premium RR. Gives lots of other people who you don't know or don't have Zello a chance to listen and as long as you follow the guidelines protects you from liability.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
It's perfectly legal to broadcast public service information. But if the OP is skittish with it (and I can see someone being so) then a professional should be consulted.

Danny37

I want to use my Zello channel to broadcast my police scanner publicly so people can listen to it on their smart phones but I don't know if that is legal or not. I'm in NYC, so if anyone knows if it's illegal to do that in NYC please tell me.

I've seen zello FDNY buff groups do it but they're usually private and clicky groups. So if they don't know you, you'll most likely won't be able to join.

rcool101

Feed Provider

DrLoomis1978

I've seen zello FDNY buff groups do it but they're usually private and clicky groups. So if they don't know you, you'll most likely won't be able to join.
More than likely to play it safe I'll just set it up as my personal password protected channel. Even that might be illegal but at least it's not being broadcasted to other people.

Last edited:

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Disseminating communications which is in the public realm (which police, fire and EMS are for example) is a right of citizens.

Really?

Under what Constitutional amendment is that covered?

It may not be illegal (for now), but I doubt if there's a "right" attached to it.

If there was, encryption would be a Civil Rights violation.

Nice try, though....

DrLoomis1978

I agree with others that being a Broadcastify Feed provider is a great idea, and gets you premium RR. Gives lots of other people who you don't know or don't have Zello a chance to listen and as long as you follow the guidelines protects you from liability.
I looked into it last night but it's kind of hard to follow because it's public safety I'm looking to broadcast. It seemed like there were many TOS. I'll read it over again and try to get a better understanding, but I'm thinking I'll probably just use the Zello channel for my own password protected use. It's not quite what I was looking for but at least I'll be able to play around with it on my cellphone. I won't give up because I really do want to share it. As always I thank you guys for all your advice.

DrLoomis1978

It is not illegal if it was there would not be over 5000 feeds on broadcastify alone.
Wow 5000, that's a lot of feeds. As I've told the other members I'm going to read the TOS more closely because I really do want share it with other people. I know I'd want someone to do it for me.

DrLoomis1978

Disseminating communications which is in the public realm (which police, fire and EMS are for example) is a right of citizens.

Really?

Under what Constitutional amendment is that covered?

It may not be illegal (for now), but I doubt if there's a "right" attached to it.

If there was, encryption would be a Civil Rights violation.

Nice try, though....
So many differing opinions. I guess the only way to know for sure is to check Broadcastify's TOS and Zello's TOS. Zello is not very helpful for its free version but I'll try anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.