broke my handheld anntena

Status
Not open for further replies.

crucialcolin

Hey everyone I managed to break the BNC adapter that is part of my RadioShack 20-006Telescoping Whip Antenna on my BC246T. Somehow I bent the little white piece of plastic inside it(female screw terminal that the male metal antenna terminal screws into).
photoon20100306at0301.jpg

So Far I have searched Google and some of the scanner sites for a replacement BNC adapter but have been unsuccessful. Odly I managed to find the antenna itself:
ant14.detail.jpg

TELESCOPIC ANTENNA FOR HANDHELD SCANNERS WITH SCREW THREADS

The problem is the adapter peace. Does anyone have any idea what it would be and where i could find it? according to scanner world the antenna itself has 5/16 x 32 - 1/2 screw threads. I have no idea what type of a connection that is. I'm hoping to find a replacement adapter so I don't have to replace the whole thing ;)

SCPD

QRT
Rubber duckie

You want my advice? Go get a rubber ducke for your radio. You keep using that antenna, and you're gonna break the connector on the radio itself before too long. Not an easy fix. You will lose some gain, I admit.

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
Broken Hand Held Antenna

My opinion is also the same as prior post - use a Rubber Duckie for any Hand Held units, these old type RS are fine for base station (fixed) used, but to use them correctly you must 'adjust' the telescopic mast to the frequency you will be listing to for optimal usage.

An argument can be made that these antenna do offer a bit of extra gain, but when you break the antenna socket inside the radio, the gain will become a loss really quick.

I would opt to have a rubber duckie VHF and UHF antenna and swap them if you are watching one band mostly...if not, several 'wideband' antennas are available in the rubber duckie type that generally work fine in most areas....

Look at various Ham Radio suppliers for options and proper BNC connectors, etc...

Hope this helps.

crucialcolin

Well I went to radio shack today looking for a replacement(had to go to two stores). The second store only had one left so I bought it. I had already visited this thread before leaving and was planing on buying a RS 800 rubberized antenna(I still have the stock uniden rubber) based on what was said and the fact that most of my listening is trunked systems.

The plan is to use the telescopic when at home or stationary for lower frequency's which isn't that often. The the RS for most of the time and when I'm running around. I also have a larsen triband(150/450/800) for my truck but it needs a new magnetic base with a preinstalled bnc connector. I suck at installing my own so its got a large amount of signal loss(currently using a screw on terminal). Nor do i have the proper crimping tools.

I just wish the RS 800mhz was a bit longer antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.