SDS100/SDS200: Broken battery door clip due to large battery tightness

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeBeCinYa

Only a relative few ever got the small battery/door. Not sure what issue there is to get in front of. The spec'd battery is the big one which goes with the big door. Neither the small battery nor door is available for production.

I am clear now on the matter thanks, I like the small set up, I will buy used from one of the (relative few).

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
The "small battery" will become one of those rare but sought-after Uniden parts in time...like a tone board for a BC9000XLT. Create and save ebay search, wait.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
We do not sell the small door or battery.

The battery latch can be purchased here:
Battery Latch - Uniden
We are currently out of stock, but you may be able to get them from other sources.

I was told by a Uniden Customer Service rep that I could not buy the latch, that they were not available to the general public for sale. When I asked why he said it was because it would encourage their customers to open the radio and void their warranties. This was probably 2 months ago, so I improvised a tight wrap with black elastic and forgot about it. Planned on buying one after my 1 yr warranty expires, Now I find out that they are/were available for sale and they are out of stock. I guess I will keep that link and check it periodically. Thanks for the news. It would be nice if everyone was on the same page here.

JD
kf4anc

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
I was told by a Uniden Customer Service rep that I could not buy the latch, that they were not available to the general public for sale. When I asked why he said it was because it would encourage their customers to open the radio and void their warranties. This was probably 2 months ago, so I improvised a tight wrap with black elastic and forgot about it. Planned on buying one after my 1 yr warranty expires, Now I find out that they are/were available for sale and they are out of stock. I guess I will keep that link and check it periodically. Thanks for the news. It would be nice if everyone was on the same page here.

JD
kf4anc
We do encourage people send them in as replacing it will void the warranty and potentially prevent repairs outside of the warranty. sometimes we do have them available.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
Ive had my new battery for months with no problems, maybe I’m wrong, but i think a lot of people just shot the door lightly and press the latch hard to try to get it to latch. I always press the door down HARD, where the foam compresses, and the latch closes just as easy as it did when it had the small battery and door.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk Pro

ipfd320

Banned
When Talking about a warranty there was something posted sometime last year by the FTC that the company can-not hold you liable for repair by someone else --here is the LINK to the Rule Making from the FTC

FTC staff sends warranty warnings

LINK to the Official Letter
FTC Staff Warns Companies that It Is Illegal to Condition Warranty Coverage on the Use of Specified Parts or Services
FTC Staff Warns Companies that It Is Illegal to Condition Warranty Coverage on the Use of Specified Parts or Services

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Ive had my new battery for months with no problems, maybe I’m wrong, but i think a lot of people just shot the door lightly and press the latch hard to try to get it to latch. I always press the door down HARD, where the foam compresses, and the latch closes just as easy as it did when it had the small battery and door.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk Pro

I broke mine because of such a tight fit with a leather case I purchased @ ScannerMaster, and stuck my finger in the hole at the bottom of the case to push up (hard) when getting the radio out and didn't realize I was pushing directly on the clip itself. Snapped like a dry twig.

So, those of you with cases that have holes in the bottom and your radio is a tight fit - do NOT stick your finger in that hole! Wait. That doesn't sound right haha. Well you know what I mean. ;)

JD
kf4anc

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
So what will be the deal with the fix coming for the 200. How will that affect the warranty?
we are still awaiting more information from Paul in regards to this, but a DIY solution would not be recommended if it affected your warranty.

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
We do encourage people send them in as replacing it will void the warranty and potentially prevent repairs outside of the warranty. sometimes we do have them available.
Hi does that mean you will send a prepaid shipping label for that fix?

radio3353

we are still awaiting more information from Paul in regards to this, but a DIY solution would not be recommended if it affected your warranty.

I will be watching this closely. You are going to give us a 'simple/easy' fix for this common problem, then tell us we can't do it ourselves?

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
You said "but a DIY solution would not be recommended if it affected your warranty." What did I misunderstand? Are not all SDS200's still under warranty? Thanks.
right, they are all under warranty. If we end up with a DIY fix, it will not void your warranty.

ipfd320

Banned
ok sounds like its a bit of a mix up here isnt this about the battery clip?? im reading about the 2oo now on here and getting a bit confused on what warranty is void or not

is this the battery thread or the 200 thread ???--and yes i know what thread this actually is

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
When Talking about a warranty there was something posted sometime last year by the FTC that the company can-not hold you liable for repair by someone else --here is the LINK to the Rule Making from the FTC

LINK to the Official Letter

This applies more to 3rd party shops fixing things then authorized service centers and has little to nothing to do with home repairs by individuals.

I used to manage a phone repair company and Apple was at the head of this. We were trained and qualified to repair iPhones but if we repaired your phone (broken screen as an example), then you try to go to apple later they will say warranty was voided. LOL news flash, dropping your phone and breaking the screen voided the warranty anyway as it was not covered under warranty as its customer abuse. LOL
But if their battery started to fail Apple would use our screen repair as an excuse to not replace the defective battery under warranty.
But for a while Apple and other companies tried to force 3rd part facilities like the one i worked at out of business. But in part i do agree with it, i saw plenty of shotty work from places that cut corners on cheap parts and/or poorly trained techs.
sorry back to being on topic.

An individual taking his scanner apart can invite trouble if he/she is not trained, doesnt have the proper tools or parts. If Uniden had more authorized service centers across the country this might not be an issue. But this is also the reason i rarely buy a product the first few months its manufactured. Hey Samsung Hows that note 7 working out. LOL While i expect a product to be manufactured properly i also am a realistic person and know there needs to be tweaking and tuning done on the manufacturing floor. Sucks to see issues with SDS100 and 200 but doesnt surprise me that little issues are popping up. Ill get an SDS100 eventually.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
ok sounds like its a bit of a mix up here isnt this about the battery clip?? im reading about the 2oo now on here and getting a bit confused on what warranty is void or not

is this the battery thread or the 200 thread ???--and yes i know what thread this actually is
Title of this thread..
Broken battery door clip due to large battery tightness
the SDS200 does not have a batter door or clip. This is for the SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.