SDS100/SDS200: Broken battery door clip due to large battery tightness

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvidHiker

OK. So you went from "if" in post #149 to "not" in post #156. Thanks for the clarification, I think. :)

If you actually take the time to read what was posted you'll see you have no reason to be pestering a guy that's just here trying to help. He was asked to speculate as to a repair procedure that doesn't even exist yet. The response that a "DIY solution would not be recommended if it affected your warranty" is perfectly reasonable considering there is no DIY solution at the moment.

beachtown

Mine just broke! Considering its material, thickness, and span across its supports - not really a surprise that a mild force snapped it. Could have been better designed? Not complaining, just providing some input. Perhaps this community can facilitate a resolution for those that have and are about to experience the part failure. Thanks!

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
When I broke mine I called Uniden and they would not sell me the part due to the fact if 'I' opened the scanner to put in the replacement part I would void my warranty, asked me to send it in and I didn't think it was worth it since I DIY'd it myself and it was not a problem. Unfortunately, due to the snug fit of the case on and off and on again, I have to be careful when sliding it into the hard leather case. My warranty is up soon so I wonder would they sell me the part, seeing's how they are instructing a few owners to do invasive repairs (thatNMN99orsomething part) to mitigate the hum noise on their SDS200s. Did I miss something-anything about this part (the battery compartment clip) being publicly available now?

JD
kf4anc

rcool101

Feed Provider
Minz is in Texas for rehab. Its birthday is in a couple days. Ever since the first one to have a clip break I was extra careful to apply pressure opening and closing. It didn't matter

osxdude

So.... Anybody has a source other than Uniden for this latch? I found these other two but won’t work for me unfortunately:

Uniden GNBZ4D8765A Battery Latch - Fits MHS75 | UnidenParts.com

Uniden GNBZ4D8765A Battery Latch

On the second link (udn.FactoryOutletStore.com) it's in stock. So, I ordered it and I received it. It was easy to put it in my scanner but it seems that the latch is too short and doesn't work. So it seems Uniden was correct that you can't buy the part...I'm really hoping I'm going be able to avoid a nearly $80 repair + $10 shipping for a $10 part at SOME point! I would totally send it in if it wasn't as easy as it was to replace.

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
Mine also broke. Currently have a zip tie holding the cover on. Any DIY solution for this yet? I pre-ordered mine and got it as soon as they were released so I think I'm out of warranty anyway.

osxdude

Mine also broke. Currently have a zip tie holding the cover on. Any DIY solution for this yet? I pre-ordered mine and got it as soon as they were released so I think I'm out of warranty anyway.

I like the zip tie idea, much more permanent! I actually grabbed some Loctite Super Glue I had laying around. It was a "precision pen" package. I applied it directly to the plastic, then placed it together. For good measure I spread some on the outside as well. I've been letting it cure (I did it Friday evening and it's now Monday) just to make sure it doesn't break before I put it back in my scanner, and to ensure durability. I'll put it in tonight and let you know if it holds.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I use my wife's colored ponytail elastic ties, do a double wrap and it's good and tight. The black one blends with the horizontal ridges of the speaker grill. I guess I could make a fashion statement with some of them but I am not that adventurous, black works just fine. I am waiting for when my 1-yr warranty runs out, maybe they will sell me one. One can only hope. Until then, the ponytail ties are my DIY fix

JD
kf4anc

rcool101

Feed Provider
Received mine also but in 1 piece.... Fed Ex....I don't have any huge expectations that this clip will last a year... Next time will be my dime though

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
I talked to the people from Uniden and they wanted me to send a picture of the broken clip which I did. They said they would send out a prepaid shipping label to send it back. I am so upset that this is happened. I don't want to wait another month and be without my scanner.

alleyoop

Premium Subscriber
All, I am one of the ones who posted about the battery clip breaking and the tightness to latch it with the large battery and door.
I had mentioned that the pads inside the large door was thicker than what's in the small battery door. I assumed the pads were thicker by design due to heavier/bulkier battery and maybe it is to some degree.
I started examining the two battery doors closer and yes the large battery door pads is twice the thickness. Upon even closer examining the large battery door is actually 2 pads stacked on top of each other. Is this supposed to be the case??? Did someone at the factory goof up and double up on the pads...thus causing this issue of breaking battery latches when used a lot in conjunction with large battery? Hmm make me wonder.
Also would like to know if only a select few have this "double padded" battery door or everyone has this?
It is tempting to pull off the top pad and then see how well the door clips.
However since my clip is broke I do not want to venture down that way yet since mine will probably have to go back.
Take a look at photos attached. One compares small battery door pads to the large battery door. The close up you can clearly tell there is two pads sandwiched together.
Let me know what you think and report back on how your battery doors compare regarding the pads.

On a side note, for those of you that do have the large battery but never swap it out then your chances of breaking the clip is probably a lot slimmer than those of us that constantly swap out packs.
2c371be8d84e6ca057495e58c1f4b73f.jpg
00fa423e4e339e85650cdefc1ec18a9d.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk
Mine looks like the LEFT photo, with two (2) pads; BUT the obvious line separating the pads is not there, maybe a single double-thick pad?

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
I have bought the Home patrol 1 & 2 BCD436 BCD536 SDS100 SDS200 I am a loyal customer to Uniden. I hope they can do something to correct this problem. I love this scanner and this should not be happening. I don’t want to send it back and wait over a month to get it repaired and hope it does not brake again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AvidHiker

I kinda doubt they'd make you wait another month to fix a clip that arrived broken. If you're that concerned, I'd suggest contacting the support rep that posts here.

Status
Not open for further replies.