SDS100/SDS200: Broken battery door clip due to large battery tightness

Status
Not open for further replies.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Since some people also contacted me directly with questions, I’ll post some additional info for the benefit of the group. It is easy to install. Remove the four screws inside the battery compartment and then pull apart lightly at the bottom of the radio to remove the broken clip with the metal cylinder that holds it in place and slides right out. Remove the metal part to use it with the new plastic part and reverse the procedure. After assembly, it was a little hard to snap open sometimes for the first few days (not a bad thing) but now that it has “smoothed out” from normal use, is perfect and I think this part is far more durable and secure than OEM. Attached is another photo of the part.

Attachments

• 46C2D96A-F81F-4291-8CE9-DFF8C2169F77.jpeg
    46C2D96A-F81F-4291-8CE9-DFF8C2169F77.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 98

rcool101

Feed Provider
I found the perfect solution for these broken battery latches and I couldn’t be happier. And that was to have my daughter 3D-printed one for me in the color of my choice, which was green in this case, for just a few bucks, much cheaper than even Uniden.
Looks good. As long as it works. I wouldn't care if it was pink

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I took out the old clip and I put the cylinder piece in a safe place since the broken clip was pain in the rump to keep the radio standing up. Yes the process was easy. Not sure when I’ll order the part or wait for the person to make one.

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
I sent mine back for the third time on Monday for repairs. I requested a extra battery clip and LARGE cover.

I don’t want to keep sending it back. I hope this time it doesn’t break.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

racing1

Does uniden sell a replacement battery door latch?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
The battery latch for this unit is not something we normally sell. Our quantities are very limited, and since the unit needs to be opened up, we most certainly won't sell them under warranty because we run into an issue where warranties may be voided by their replacement. We can sell them in situations where the customer is out of warranty, they understand the risk to their units and they believe they can replace it with no trouble, and even then, we may not be able to sell them due to limited supply.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
The battery latch for this unit is not something we normally sell. Our quantities are very limited, and since the unit needs to be opened up, we most certainly won't sell them under warranty because we run into an issue where warranties may be voided by their replacement. We can sell them in situations where the customer is out of warranty, they understand the risk to their units and they believe they can replace it with no trouble, and even then, we may not be able to sell them due to limited supply.

Thanks for the info.

Safety21

Of the thousands of units we've sold, looks like fewer than a dozen reports of this actually happening, with many more paranoid that it might happen to them, too.

Well, my SDS 100 joined the “dozen list” for the broken battery clip last night while I was removing the battery. Like other posts, it’s never been dropped, it has the large battery (with the two pads), and the clip just broke.

Currently I am using zip-ties to keep the battery cover connected to the scanner. Not ideal, but it works.

I’m going to wait to see if the “dozens” of clip failures turn into “hundreds” and see if Uniden issues a recall. In the past, they have done recalls with other problems with their products; with Uniden paying the shipping. I’m not good paying shipping costs to get the clip replaced, particularly because it’s a warranty repair. From this thread, it looks like the users are paying from the shipping for this repair…someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Oh, and I’m not looking forward to being without my scanner for 20-30 days. Just sayin’.

HAPPY SCANNING !

racing1

My sds100 is about 8 months old and my original large battery cover is still going strong. Fingers crossed
This is exactly why I'm not one to be switching batteries and just use the large one that I got with the sds100. One less problem I gotta worry about. Don't feel like playing Russian roulette with my battery door clip,especially if replacement clips are not readily available.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

PappyDC

New guy here with a brand-new SD100. After reading this thread AND receiving the radio I carefully installed the battery and noted how tight everything is..... Haven't opened the radio since... I would like to have a 2nd battery and pop for the remote charger BUT I can take a "wait and see" attitude and maybe a remedy will be available. (Like the scanner though!)

RT48

I bought an SDS100 in April even though I have been following this thread since it started. I also bought the charger and extra battery. I noticed that the photos of the broken latch show it breaking in the middle except for one case. When I close the latch I push down on the battery cover as recommended earlier in this thread and then snap the latch closed by pushing only on the top part where it contacts the battery cover. I'm hoping by not pushing on the middle of the latch I will avoid the breakage problem. After three months of swapping batteries nearly every day, so far so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.