SDS100/SDS200: Broken battery door clip due to large battery tightness

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I'm testing a prototype Jon sent me. As luck would have it it hasn't been real warm since I received it so I can't tell if it will behave differently or not yet.

In all fairness to the original clip of Jon's, I tried to break it (since it was bent anyway) and couldn't*. So strength-wise it's good, just keep it out of the heat and you'll probably have no issues.

* I imagine if I tried hard enough it would break, but just using normal old man hand pressure it didn't even flex. :p

Nice warm day today (around 90) and I left the SDS100 in the vehicle for several hours. Came back and no issues with the prototype clip. Hopefully Jon can make it the same length as his original and in black (mine is white'ish).

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Both are doable.

I'm finishing up a 40-hour print of a replacement fan for a vintage Corsair engine using carbon-fiber-reinforced polycarbonate, which has a much higher print temperature. New clips will likely be made from that.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I'm making the clips out of the carbon fiber/polycarbonate material now that is much more heat resistant than the previous stuff. It's a slightly darker black than the previous version, and a closer visual match to the scanner case. If anyone else has had the heat warping issue, email a photo of your clip to jonathan@unidenscanners.com and I will replace them under warranty. @KevinC I can't find your address, please email me.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I'm making the clips out of the carbon fiber/polycarbonate material now that is much more heat resistant than the previous stuff. It's a slightly darker black than the previous version, and a closer visual match to the scanner case. If anyone else has had the heat warping issue, email a photo of your clip to jonathan@unidenscanners.com and I will replace them under warranty. @KevinC I can't find your address, please email me.
I hardly take mine outside at all since it is way too hot out..... I was thinking buying a new one and get one for my buddy.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
This is awesome Jon. Mine will not stay closed and flips open all the time. I’ll send you a picture but I also want to send money for your shipping costs.
I'll accept donations if offered, but I'm not going to demand a payment.

K4RBT

It somewhat sounds like a problem Motorola had with Systems 90 pushbuttons. They would crack and come flying off when it was used or the switch was released. Come to find out, the vendor that made the buttons was not using "virgin" plastic but ground up sprues from a previous
injection molding. The plastic was thin on top and bottom and not a strong as a "virgin" (we all laughed at this word". Seems multiple heatings
weakened the composition of the plastic. So, we would go out and if we saw a Systems 90 control, we would check for plastic cracking and replace the button. Sometimes a cheap injection molding will show swirl patterns, a different color was ground up with the desired color.

KevinC

Super Moderator

Received the new clips. I'll report back with any issues, but I believe these are made from the same material as the sample he sent me, which has held up just fine in the heat.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Received the new clips. I'll report back with any issues, but I believe these are made from the same material as the sample he sent me, which has held up just fine in the heat.

The clear/white sample I sent you was PETG, which has a melting/extrusion point approximately midway between PLA and the polycarbonate material in the final product. The polycarbonate should be even more heat-resistant than the PETG.

KevinC

Super Moderator
The clear/white sample I sent you was PETG, which has a melting/extrusion point approximately midway between PLA and the polycarbonate material in the final product. The polycarbonate should be even more heat-resistant than the PETG.

Awesome. I expect no issues then.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
AFAIK there have not been any changes to the battery clip design or material since the SDS100 came out.

KevinC

Super Moderator

Radio spent a day in the heat on Monday with no issues. Thanks for the replacements and taking over where Uniden failed.

bheisner

Premium Subscriber
I fashioned this clip from a small paper binder clip which is stiff enough to hold securely. I was able to repair the original plastic clip by embedding two 1 cm pieces of wire across the crack. I called Uniden about a replacement clamp, didn't know what I was talking and would email me when they found it, still waiting. The wire works perfect, so, may not need the plastic clamp. Seems like a much better idea, since it will last forever?

I did the same thing. Great idea by the way! A very simple and cheap fix.

I removed one of the clips to an ACCO Small Binder Clips (3/4 inch binder clip) and bent the top (1/8 of an inch) with a pair of needle nose pliers.

This bent clip fits perfectly in the 2 post holes for the original battery latch.

It's also much stronger than the original plastic clip and is flexible and tight.

Attachments

• IMG_8060.jpg
    IMG_8060.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 61

W4KSL

I haven’t read through all the postings yet but I have the SDS100 and the battery latch broke yesterday. not abused. Never taken out of the living room. The battery pack simply put too much stress on the plastic clip. It broke dead in the center at the mold joint. Mine is still under warranty but I don’t like the idea of shipping it back to Uniden if there is a part I can buy. I’ve e-mailed Uniden asking for the part. Hopefully they’ll send it avoiding having to ship it back. It’ll save them money as well as myself but have yet to receive a reply. Does anyone know if there is a part number or a link for direct purchase of the item?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
This gentleman is making the part and you can contact him.

Status
Not open for further replies.