SDS100/SDS200: Broken battery door clip due to large battery tightness

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
I haven’t read through all the postings yet but I have the SDS100 and the battery latch broke yesterday. not abused. Never taken out of the living room. The battery pack simply put too much stress on the plastic clip. It broke dead in the center at the mold joint. Mine is still under warranty but I don’t like the idea of shipping it back to Uniden if there is a part I can buy. I’ve e-mailed Uniden asking for the part. Hopefully they’ll send it avoiding having to ship it back. It’ll save them money as well as myself but have yet to receive a reply. Does anyone know if there is a part number or a link for direct purchase of the item?

It is unlikely you will be able to order a clip from Uniden. They haven't been selling them recently. As mentioned above you can order an improved replacement clip from Jon at the link below. Just scroll down to Scanner Accessories, choose the SD100 clip for $10 in the list and proceed to Add to cart.

W4KSL

It is unlikely you will be able to order a clip from Uniden. They haven't been selling them recently. As mentioned above you can order an improved replacement clip from Jon at the link below. Just scroll down to Scanner Accessories, choose the SD100 clip for $10 in the list and proceed to Add to cart.
Just ordered one. Thanks. I had the scanner boxed up and ready to ship back to Uniden. glad I found this thread. 👍

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
Here is a short video showing how install a new clip without disassembling the scanner. It is a very easy fix.

Thanks for the quick video! My battery door clip hasn't broken yet, but good to see its somewhat a easy piece to replace.

Just curious, where did you get the belt clip stud? Mine is just plastic.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 1.48.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 1.48.21 PM.png
    330.6 KB · Views: 28

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Just curious, where did you get the belt clip stud? Mine is just plastic.
Mine has the metal type. Wonder when they switched to plastic.

Some of the older portables and marine portables have the round mount studs that are steel. They can be ordered from Uniden but I don't think all will fit exactly correct on the SDS100.
Someone may know which will fit.
I think the center screw may also be different where some have a typical sheet metal type thread and some have machined threads. Some of the round knobs also had a keying notch in their base to keep them from rotating.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
The battery clip failures reminded me of my old Pro-43 (and other GRE handhelds) with it's junk plastic belt clip that broke if used at all. On mine and many others, I used the metal belt clip from the Icom IC-24AT and others to replace it. About a minute of enlarging the holes and put the clip on with some blue loctite and never have to worry again. Sadly, the improved battery clip for the SDS100 is a $10 fix that I don't know is a permanent one.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I've sold several hundred of the carbon fiber polycarbonate clips, and nobody's broken one yet.
Jon,

I bought a new clip from you but I had the large battery and battery cover at the time.
I decided later to use my small battery and cover again but found your clip now extends well past the rear of the SDS100.
Is it okay to trim your clip down so it does not protrude past the scanners housing or will the clips laminates start separating?
I figure I could probably seal the laminates via melting them together or a glue forced into the laminates but want your advice first if you have ever needed to modify a long clip to fit the small battery cover.

The clip does work fantastic for the large battery and cover.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It shouldn't be a problem to shorten the clip, but I have a couple prototypes that are the same length as the factory clip. PM me if you want one.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
Only because you have zero experience with it. I've sold several hundred of the carbon fiber polycarbonate clips, and nobody's broken one yet.

Great. Glad to hear they are working well. One less thing to worry about going wrong on the SDS100. I have two SDS200's and don't have any concerns about them, well, not many concerns, after all, it's Uniden, but the 100 just seems to be kind of fragile and I guess my 436 experience has me gunshy. That was a turd of a radio, one of the very few so bad I sent it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.