Broken Reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

NA9E

I am trying to set up my 500. I hear occsional dispatches but they are always either cut short or broken up. Obviously need to do (or undue) something. ALL ideas welcome.

George

SCPD

QRT
More info, what system are trying to hear (frequencies) & location & what ou usingfor an Antenna , how far are you located from the system(s) trunked or conventional?

NA9E

Indianapolis is all digital APCO25. I am using antenna supplied and also tried a 800MHz from previous scanner. Am about two miles from nearest tower.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
In comparison im over here in ILL listening to the ILL-Starcom Digital 700/800mgz system on a GRE500, the tower closest to me is 3 miles away and i can hardly copy it BUT, the towers 20-25 miles away come in fine....

rmiller818

Try turning on the attenuator. Try the one for the system first and then try the global attenuator if that doesn't help.

Swipesy

I am trying to set up my 500. I hear occsional dispatches but they are always either cut short or broken up. Obviously need to do (or undue) something. ALL ideas welcome.

George

Do you have Priority turned on? That will cause the scanner to check your priority channels and momentarily cause a disruption of the transmissions.

rmiller818

wolverine

Well the next generation scanner's need to have improved data correction for improved reception on CQPSK systems. There is no reason why these scanner's cant receive as good as the radio's. I use to enjoy the scanning hobby until this digital crap came out and now, i fight with the scanner more to find a good spot then i listen to what's going on. In any event, no improved CQSPK reception, then I'm not going to buy the next generation scanner as it will only be the same as the model i have now.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Right, but if he is really 2 miles from a site, I would have expected to have better reception, but turning the attenuator on might make a significant improvement.

Being 2 miles away from a site means absolutely nothing when dealing with LSM CQPSK, unless of course he has an outside Yagi pointed right at that site and it's not receiving traffic from any other site but that one.

Best advise, get a Yagi and experiment with it pointed in different directions until you get the desired results. There is really nothing else he can do if ATT doesn't work.

Last edited:

NA9E

Bill, the serial is 0054 (24) I have read that the low numbers are all having trouble. I am contacting GRE about fix. Thanks for your interest.

George NA9E

stlouisx50

Try setting the DG INT Prime to half of the factory setting you have. I think out of the box it is set at 60, try setting it as 30 and see if that helps. Others have had similiar issues like the original post.

http://forums.radioreference.com/gre-scanners/118599-psr-500-missing-first-half-second.html

This idea worked for me. It breaks up for briefer times than it did before. I am in OFALLON, MO where they just switched to a new 700 MHZ system but the system is also simulcast. From what I heard systems that are Simulcast always have a issue with the decoding of the digital system.

Status
Not open for further replies.