• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Bronco Antenna

CaptDan

This is the antenna mount I anticipate going with.

Recommendations for antennas are welcome. I would consider A dual band GMRS/MURS antenna or a single band GMRS antenna. Price is always a consideration, but not the only consideration. Quality & Performance is as important, if not more important.

Thank you in advance for your insight.

Attachments

• Antenna 1.jpg
    Antenna 1.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Antenna 2.jpg
    Antenna 2.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 46

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
For a mount like that you are going to need a half wave/colinear or similar, something that doesn't need the ground plane. Possible antennas include but are not limited to Laird B4505CNS, PCTEL MUF4505NGP

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
This is the antenna mount I anticipate going with.

Recommendations for antennas are welcome. I would consider A dual band GMRS/MURS antenna or a single band GMRS antenna. Price is always a consideration, but not the only consideration. Quality & Performance is as important, if not more important.

If it's for GMRS, go with a dedicated 1/2 wave UHF antenna.

I've used Larsen for years, both on my own vehicles as well as at work. You can't go wrong with them.
In the last 2 years or so, I've started using a lot of EM Wave antennas, and and pretty happy with them also.

EM Wave: EMFLX-M10003-GPI: Mobile, 2 dB Gain, Broadband UHF, Ground Plane Independent, 380-520 MHz, Poly Spring

Larsen:

The Antenna Farm is shut down right now, but you can still look at their pages. Search on the brand/model number and you can find other dealers. arcantenna.com tends to have good prices.

K6GBW

Yeah, the Bronco has the same issue as a Jeep Wrangler. You can go with a small antenna up front using a hood mount. The advantage to those is that you can see them when you're off roading and you'll know if it's going to hit something. The performance will be compromised but for short ranges it won't matter at all. For the location you pictured, the halfwave is the way to go. Don't try and do a dual band antenna on that carrier mount, it just won't work well. If you primarily use GMRS for off roading and caravaning then just go with a good halfwave.