Brooklyn Scaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsmith456z

Premium Subscriber
Took a trip to Brooklyn NY this past weekend, brought along my PSR 800 with an RS 800 mhz antenna.
I created a V Scanner file specifically for Kings County and loaded all frequencies and Trunking Radio Systems from RR's most recent library. Got to Brooklyn, fired up my scanner and i was only able to hear a few EMS broadcast.
What am i missing?

Thanks

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Have you actually looked at the Kings County page? It's empty, because all NYC frequencies are on the New York County page as noted on each of the four outer borough's pages.

For New York City frequencies, see the New York County page.

Loading Kings County will only get you the one taxi service in the Business section, as well as a few trunked systems that operate in Brooklyn but may not operate in all of NYC. Next time you need to load New York County if you want to hear anything.

maalox

im in brooklyn using a 996xt with a aor sa7000 antenna have about 300 miss digital freqs all nyc freqs , even with a handheld antenna i pick up all local pd freqs but no trunking freqs..

Last edited:

maalox

if your using a 800 mhz antenna the local freqs are in the 476 bet u that was it

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
im in brooklyn using a 996xt with a aor sa7000 antenna have about 300 miss digital freqs all nyc freqs , even with a handheld antenna i pick up all local pd freqs but no trunking freqs..

The issue was that he loaded only Brooklyn (Kings County), not NYC (New York County). You can't listen to what you don't have programmed.

if your using a 800 mhz antenna the local freqs are in the 476 bet u that was it

800 MHz antennas will pick up UHF just fine. Again, that was not his issue, incorrect programming was.

maalox

The issue was that he loaded only Brooklyn (Kings County), not NYC (New York County). You can't listen to what you don't have programmed.

800 MHz antennas will pick up UHF just fine. Again, that was not his issue, incorrect programming was.
my mistake

Last edited:

lsmith456z

Premium Subscriber
YEP. Operator error. My mistake, downloaded the wrong frequencies.. Oh well, you live and you learn.

Thanks for all the feedback

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I would personally like to see the 5 individual NYC county pages abolished and merged into a single NYC page. I think that would eliminate issues like this. Native NY'ers are familiar with the county/borough issue, but I can see how it can be confusing for people outside the area.

KC2zZe

Nothing is trunked? Sure, the day-to-day, run-of-the mill NYPD, FDNY, and FDNY*EMS channels are "easy to monitor" but I wouldn't go so far as to say that nothing is trunked. DoITT runs two trunked systems (one UHF and one 800 MHz) that are both used rather heavily. Many times you can get a behind-the-scenes idea of what you are hearing over the conventional channels on trunked talkgroups such as those used by emergency management, environmental protection, and the buildings department - not to mention the use of the Citywide Radio Network (the UHF TRS) by the FDNY for alternate dispatch purposes (see the Rapid Response Vehicle Task Force article in the 2nd/2011 edition of With NY Firefighters, the FDNY's internal magazine for great explaination of how and when DARS portables get pressed into service) and other 'back channel' radio traffic. If you've got a trunking capable scanner, of all the trunked systems active in Brooklyn, at the very least you should have both DoITT systems programmed in and ready to go - even if you aren't going to be actively monitoring them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.