Brooks County "Digital System"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgoodson

Feed Provider
Twice today, while monitoring 154.37 (Brooks County FD) mobile units have called dispatch and the response has been something like "You're on the analog system, please switch to the digital system"

I took a look at the database and didn't see anything that jumped out at me about a digital system in Brooks County.

Sooooo, if anyone knows whazzup there, we need an update.

nunyax

They have a license (WNHR488) that is currently pending authorization to add MOTOTRBO and new frequencies. It covers 3 sites using 6 VHF repeaters; maybe a MOTOTRBO Connect Plus trunking system?

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
Brooks is another county that has been duped into buying a digital system in addition to the narrow band requirement. This is an extremely rural county with an very low call volume.

Brooks on average has 2 deputies covering the whole county and 1 dispatcher. They have no mobile data and can barely afford to buy 1 new patrol car a year. Deputies start at 13 bucks an hour.

JRayfield

How do you know that they've been "duped"? Maybe they didn't want to take the 'hit' on range that some have experienced when moving to narrowband analog.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

Brooks is another county that has been duped into buying a digital system in addition to the narrow band requirement. This is an extremely rural county with an very low call volume.

Brooks on average has 2 deputies covering the whole county and 1 dispatcher. They have no mobile data and can barely afford to buy 1 new patrol car a year. Deputies start at 13 bucks an hour.

Reactions: RRR

SCPD

QRT
Brooks County Digital System

I side with JRayfield and ask ProCopper7005 the same question, "How do you know they have been duped?" Many agencies across our nation are opting to purchase and install MotoTRBO or NEXEDGE systems since they have to replace the majority, if not all, of their VHF or UHF equipment to meet the FCC's narrowband mandate. The cost of MotoTRBO and NEXEDGE equipment is very comparable in pricing to the equipment they have purchased in the past. Even if it were just a little more expensive, say a couple hundred dollars more per radio than what they were purchasing, the added features, such as text messaging, private or selective call capabilities, improved coverage in the narrowband digital mode, etc. are well worth the money spent. I realize many of us are upset that we can't monitor MotoTRBO and NEXEDGE systems, but I feel fairly confident one or more of the scanner manufacturers will have a scanner on the market soon that will allow users to hear MotoTRBO and or NEXEDGE. They will have to do this if they want to keep selling scanners because so many agencies are switching to these other forms of DMR technology. The taxpayers of these counties that have elected to go MotoTRBO and NEXEDGE instead of 700/800 MHz P25 should be proud to know the sheriff, police chief, fire chief, EMS director, EMA director, 9-1-1 director and or others who had a decision in this process have spent their tax dollars wisely and not bit off more than they can chew (or pay for in this case). Now what I would call duped is the county in rural Georgia with a population of less than 50,000 people and sheriff's office with less than 125 on staff that have been convinced to purchase 700/800 MHz P25 equipment and will also pay huge reoccurring costs for an annual maintenance agreement on their mobiles, portables, control stations and repeater sites. Now some will argue that MotoTRBO and NEXEDGE are not "public safety standards based radio systems", but based on the contents of these standards that I have read an analog conventional narrowband radio system doesn't meet these standards either and we sure have a whole lot of agencies across our nation that are or will be relying on these.....

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Brooks County Digital System

Oh, just in case you were wondering how I came up with the population threshold I'm not singling out any one particular county in Georgia with a population of less than 50,000 that have bought in to a 700/800 MHz P25 System because there are a lot of them. To be honest with you I think there are several in Georgia with a population well above 50,000 that could have purchased something other than a 700/800 MHz P25 System, but I will not mention any names....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.