Broward Country / Ft Lauderdale

Status
Not open for further replies.

novacheck

Hello everyone,
I am currently in San Diego, CA but might be moving out to the Broward Country / Ft Lauderdale area in 3 months. I have always lived on the West Coast and have never had issues understanding or following my local PD etc.

I notice in the FL forums it doesn't break down by city like most of the West Coast states do so if this info is listed already I am sorry.

I just have a few questions:

1. I have the BCD396XT, from what I have read it will not work because of the system being phase 2 is this correct?
2. I had heard that most of the LEO are encrypted but I don't see that listed in the DB, I'm use to San Diego where everything is in the clear.

We haven't decided the exact area but it will be in the Ft Lauderdale area, how is coverage etc? Anything else I should keep in mind? Thanks again everyone.

JANFINE

Premium Subscriber
Fort Lauderdale Area

Thankfully your info is incorrect.
The BCD396XT will work on most systems.
Boynton Beach & Delray Beach PD are encrypted. (Palm Beach County)
Coral Gables PD is encrypted. (Miami-Dade County)

The BCD396XT will do P25 Phase 2.

Very few encrypted channels except the ones mentioned above.

Fort Lauderdale, Plantation, and Coral Springs have all moved to the Broward CountyP25 system.
They each have their own sites and freqs. Most all can be heard.
Broward County should be switching to this system with their own set of frequencies in 2018.

Feel free to join my group of scanner info for Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach Counties.

www.yahoogroups.com
SEFLORIDA group

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Fort Lauderdale, Plantation, and Coral Springs have all moved to the Broward CountyP25 system.

There is no Broward County P25 System. It doesn't exist as of yet. The Master Site is owned by Motorola Solutions and it hosts the Broward 1F25 and the individual P25 systems you noted above.

all4gaines

If your BCD396XT does not receive Phase II then you will not be able to hear anything. As for Broward County Switching to P25, they will be lucky if it happens in 2018. Ft. Lauderdale, Plantation, and Coral Springs did change over and their system is still new and it is hit and miss about hearing them.

Rred

Broward County consists of 31 "cities". Aside from Ft Liquordale, I think 28 of the other "cities" would be called "towns" by most professionals. As a result there is a quiltwork of local systems and county-wide systems. For instance, many counties hire out the Broward Sheriff's Office for their police department, so they contract into the BSO communications system when they hire BSO. For others, there are local resources, some of them using "better" comm systems which they have the individual option to encrypt or not.

Its a patchwork on many levels. BSO is not encrypted. You can download an app like Scanner Radio to an Android, and listen in to the traffic. Or take a look at the database or FCC licensing pages, you'll find the towns (excuse me, cities(G) have many separate license listed for various purposes.

To the casual eye the entire county is pretty much one downtown nexus (Fort Laud.) surrounded by a continuous semi-urban sprawl. But each of those towns is SO adamant about being a separate and superior entity on almost every level.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Most of the cities in Broward have built for themselves very robust infrastructure, such as water utilities and other services such as Building/Zoning/Code Enforcement and provide very personalized services to the public. To call them anything other than what they are, which is a city, is an insult to them especially when most of their residents are very proud of where they live.

A perfect example of this is the City of Sunrise that is the home to the Sawgrass Mills Mall, Florida Panthers and their performance center, the only multi-story residential towers that overlook the Everglades, and the home to the brand new multi-story American Express building (that they stole from Plantation). Other than the skyscrapers downtown, that some think that there are too many, Fort Lauderdale really can't compare to them.

Now Weston on the other hand provides very few internal services and farms out everything including LE and FD to BSO. I always wondered why they even exist as a municipality.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I was in Fort Lauderdale a couple of months ago, and there was a lot of good listening. Don't ignore the marine channels.

Rred

N4, the standard terminology used by cartographers, demographers, statisticians, everyone who deals in "how big is this?" terminology, is to call anything 100,000 and larger population a city. That's what gets the solid black dot on the map. Anything under 100,000 population?
Sorry, doesn't matter what you built, you're a town, or a township with villages in it. (Even if the villages are contiguous urban sprawl.)
Go to NY. Go to Long Island. Two million people on it, outside of NYC's two boroughs, and not one 'city" on Long Island. The Town of Hempstead is bigger than most of the "cities" in Broward, and that's just one of them.
Now whether that wonderful infrastructure, with incredibly poor transit system, clogged streets, and open drainage canals all over the place qualifies as a 'wonderful' anything....I'd note that for several years now, Florida has only been growing because of immigrants coming into the US. More Florida citizens have been leaving than ever before.
There's nothing wrong with being a TOWN. Being a city? Might call for having a building more than two stories tall. Not just having your own "departments", whether you job some out to BSO or not.
And having a County Mayor for Broward...I find great humor in the county having a mayor. Only cities have mayors, AFAIK. You know, like Boston, Chicago, New York, Philly....got anything like that in Broward? It is well past time that the politicians stopped selling swampland and got their act together, the way they do on the mainland. BC wouldn't need to be a patchwork of radio systems (and so many other things) if they'd just follow normal practices. And merge some of the TOWNS. FLL has absorbed other entities in the past, no reason it can't be done again.

Status
Not open for further replies.