Broward County Departments/Talkgroups Descriptions too long

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
Over the last month I've been getting a bunch of updates for the Broward County Public Services system. One of the things I noticed is the Departments/Talkgroups descriptions are very lengthy. Even thought there very detailed can cause problems with folks who import the description be it 12 or 16 charters. Even those with more modern scanners like the PSR-800, HP-1, Pro-107 and Pro-18 will have information cut off or delayed scrolling due to the length. I would suggest that some of the information be shortened. I have a few examples below.

Before:
Broward County Sheriff Fire-Rescue
8208 201 A BCF-DISP2 Dispatch-2 (North Dispatch BKA BCFR, Deerfield Beach, Dania Beach) Fire Dispatch
8240 203 A BCF-DISP5 Dispatch-5 (Pompano Beach, Lighthouse Point, Sea Ranch Lakes, Lauderdale-by-the-Sea) Fire Dispatch

After:
Broward County Sheriff Fire-Rescue
8208 201 A BCF-DISP2 Dispatch-2 Fire Dispatch
8240 203 A BCF-DISP5 Dispatch-5 Fire Dispatch

Before:
Broward County Sheriff
4144 103 A BSO 2A Dania (D2), Port Everglades (D14), Airport(D3) Law Dispatch
4176 105 A BSO 3A Weston (D8), Southwest Ranches (D9), Cooper City (D16) Law Dispatch
4208 107 A BSO 4A Pembroke Park, W Park, & South (D1), Hallandale Beach (D28) Law Dispatch

After:
Broward County Sheriff
4144 103 A BSO 2A District (2) (3) (14) Law Dispatch
4176 105 A BSO 3A District (8) (9) (16) Law Dispatch
4208 107 A BSO 4A District (1) (28) Law Dispatch

If the user wants to see which district is which, they already have it listed in the Wiki section.
Again these are just suggestions.
Broward County Public Services Trunking System, Broward County, Florida - Scanner Frequencies
Let me know.

wise871

Database Admin
I fixed ascend materials. The reason it was pretty bare was the fact none of the talkgroups were ID to the exact usage. They all were basic plant operations. Technically there were unidentified which normally doesn’t get uploaded to the database. I do know that when I download from RR, all unknown TG will display on my scanners to indicate that it is new or unknown which helps the user track the usage. In the case of Ascend Materials, since it was all plant operations, I went ahead and listed them as you submitted.

KE5TLF

Thanks...and per that same handbook you're supposed to tag them with TGID or frequency data in the abscence of anything more specific ;) :p That system is also overwhelmed with traffic and it's hard to believe nobody has ever offered up anything more about it. Curious why you didn't think my suggested adjustments to the ranges of the site and TG's was not in line with the spirit of proper geotagging? The current 25 miles is most certainly WAY outside of the intended service area.

People take the "unknown" thing way too seriously too. The spirit of that guidance is to exclude completely unknown/erroneous information but not to exclude partially incomplete but known accurate information. Even though we do not know the exact channel names we know enough about them to include them in the DB. They are all related to plant operations in this case. Plus how does anyone expect to make progress getting more specific information on a thing if it's buried somewhere the vast majority of ppl aren't looking.

Another fine example. The 2 NAS Meridian Fire TG's that I myself IDed and entered as being fire/crash related yet someone whisked them off to the wiki to be lost pretty much forever since I'm probably the only one that will ever report anything from there again. The fact they are known to be related to Base Fire Department ops is more than enough to qualify them to be included in the DB.

Don't get me wrong, the wiki is a decent enough, and proper tool for IDing completely unknown things, but the main problem is hardly anyone uses it for that purpose. Believe me I've tried doing this with MSWIN and only myself and one other person ever really contributed anything to it.

Also sorry for jacking your thread but the discussion of how things are tagged and described in general, and not just your one specific case, is something that is needed for the betterment of the topic in general.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.