Broward/Palm Beach Co Phase II...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
I was wondering why the talkgroups started sounding more Digital-like a few days ago on the Analog/3600 talkgroups! I had a feeling the switch was starting.

With this change another question has come to mind... It seems more and more agencies in South Florida are going to the Big E (encryption), with Delray & Boynton & now Metro-Dade being the newest announcement... There probably isn't much that can be said on-the-record but does anyone know if PBCFR has plans on going to encryption, either soon or in the future? I'm pretty sure PBSO will be going encrypted, but I hope PBCFR doesn't. At first they took their online CAD scanner page down so you can't see their calls anymore, then they changed their official scanner radio feed cutting back from all Tac channel broadcasts to just 6A (Dispatch) broadcasting so you can hear the calls get dispatched but can't hear any Fireground channels or hear what's going on with the calls, kinda pointless to be honest... I'm not even sure if they took their official radio feed down and someone else has privately set one up on their own or if they are still the ones broadcasting the one on Broadcastify now, but it seems they don't want certain information being known or heard by the public. I have heard thru the grapevine that the County lawyers have concerns of HIPAA & patient privacy regulations & responder safety issues. Correct me if I am wrong if anybody has any other input but this is just what I have heard. Nothing against any agencies, I am very Pro-Law Enforcement & Pro-Public Safety but pretty soon there won't be anything left to listen to in the South Florida tri-County area if it keeps up... We can thank online scanner radio broadcasting for the world to hear for starting that trend, but I won't get started on THAT rant right now...

I just don't want to see the radio waves going dark (secure) for us responsible scanner/radio hobbyists who don't use it for malicious purposes, but I have a nagging feeling that in the next 10 years there won't be any Public Safety Radio channels in the clear anymore. I hope I am wrong...

••David

Last edited:

TDR-94

I have a nagging feeling that in the next 10 years there won't be any Public Safety Radio channels in the clear anymore. I hope I am wrong...

••David

If encryption alone doesn't. The promise of future public safey LTE voice will.

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
What announcement with Miami-Dade ? I must have missed something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miami-Dade Police made an announcement a few days ago that they are going to encrypt all of their PD channels by the end of 2017. This is according to a local South Florida Scanner bulletin board group that I am a member of. Usually the information on there is solid 100% so up til now I have had no reason to doubt their info...

TDR-94

Here is the link to the 2015 Miami herald article that I was referring too:

Miami-Dade police radio system finally in place

According to that article they had to delay full PD encryption due to technical issues being worked out by Harris.They cited the media "chasing calls" as a major reason,but also mentioned "to combat specialized apps that have been created that allows anyone with Internet access to follow police calls" as well.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Don't want to push the thread too much off topic but I being told the Union is actually against encrypting the dispatch channels after the issue last time. I guess time will tell.

But back to PBC...Tequesta PD radio IDs starting to show up.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Ocean Ridge coming over via SmartX. Am I the only one monitoring because no one seems to be reporting anything...

jvdet

just left PB all LE will be encrypted, also rx Ocean Ridge, as I was leaving but its wasn't full time yet, give it another week - then sell your scanners on ebay - its the tend for all LE

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Ocean Ridge coming over via SmartX. Am I the only one monitoring because no one seems to be reporting anything...

What do you want people to report? It's friggin Ocean Ridge! So twice a year they get a call for a domestic dispute between a super rich guy and his wife and his girlfriend.

What is SmartX for those of us who are not Motorola techs? A poor man's MotoBridge?

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
How about the fact that there is about 24 talkgroups active....so which talkgroups are active, what agencies have started to make the switch, whether they are FDMA or TDMA, whether they are encrypted or not....

Where are all the buffs ?

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
And yes, Ocean Ridge PD is encrypted along with Riviera Beach. Tequesta is running in the clear....for now.

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
What do you want people to report? It's friggin Ocean Ridge! So twice a year they get a call for a domestic dispute between a super rich guy and his wife and his girlfriend.

What is SmartX for those of us who are not Motorola techs? A poor man's MotoBridge?

SmartX is a shortcut for saying SmartZone system, which is what PBC system is, a Type-2 SmartZone (for now always...)

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Does Palm Springs PD dispatch Lake Clarke Shores PD as well ? (Or vice versa). Hearing them on the same talkgroup.

Status
Not open for further replies.