Bruinswick county nc

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCSPRINGS

Premium Subscriber
just last week in myrtle beach, i was picking up viper very strong on the bolivia site. now, it is gone. it was coming through on my hp-1 and a xts3000 motorola radio now there is nothing?? has there been some work on this tower?? can anybody add to the mystery?? thanks

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Try listening for the Carolina Beach (Wilmington) Viper site ... The control frequency is 868.8875, and the site ID is C508-0007.

This is the site to the east of Bolivia.

I logged the Carolina Beach site the Sunday before this past (on 04/15) while poolside at the Surfside Beach Resort. The pool is at ground level on the south side of the 8-story hotel, with no other tall structures to provide signal reflection.

BTW - here's the antenna I was using on a 396xt that trip:

OPEK HR-25 - Dual Band VHF/UHF Stubby Antenna 144-148 & 430-450 MHz

I knew I had locked onto a Viper site at the time, but didn't know which one. Once I had a chance to match the site ID on RadioReference, I figured the signal had been enhanced by a pathway that was mostly over water, as well as a cold front that was moving into the region.

52to12

The closest VIPER site to Myrtle Beach is Pea Landing, 1/2 mile north of US 17 @mile post 4.
Brunswick Co. also trransmits from this tower.
Just returned from an extended trip to NY. I'll program Bolivia tower later today. As a reference the
tower is located behind C-Comm at the county complex parallel to US 17 @mp28. This would be 60 miles from downtown Myrtle Beach.

Status
Not open for further replies.