Brunswick Co Utilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
It appears that I may have some family moving down to the Brunswick County area in the near future, and I am trying to add in some relevant frequencies to my UHF XTS5000. I will not get down to the area too often, but I do have a lot of concern about the area during Hurricane season, so I would like to add in the utility frequencies.

I see that Brunswick Electric Membership Cooperative is licensed for repeaters on 451.125 and 451.725 in several locations. Does anyone monitor this system that can provide tones and what these are used for? I.E. which one is channel 1, etc.

I also see that Duke Energy is licensed for repeaters on 451.200, 451.250, 462.475, and 462.525. These both appear to be in relation to the power plant and I would also like to add them in, so I am looking for the same information.

Dosher Memorial Hospital in Southport is also licensed on for a repeater on 451.950.

I realize some of this information could be considered "sensitive" (but--it's in the FCC database), so feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

KM4WLV

Jake,

As far as the stuff for Duke Energy goes the last I heard they were using Open Sky down there, but it may have not gotten implemented just yet. With the merger finally completed things have kinda gotten shifted around on the Open Sky roll out.

I'll see what I can find out for ya.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
The repeaters in question are the local on-site repeaters for the plant, not part of the Openfail system. I do also see a couple 800mhz conventional repeaters there as well though...

KG4KHQ

Premium Subscriber
Brunswick EMC

For Brunswick EMC, try a PL of 123.0, that is what I have found so far. I don't know how their channel plan is set up from the times I have been down there, but what I believe they do is have a different repeater for different parts of their coverage area. All the traffic I have heard on any of their channels all sounds like typical electric utility traffic, cut-ons and cut-offs, lines down and taking such and such substation down....nothing to distinguish one channel from another.

As far as the plant in Southport goes, the 800 mhz frequencies are (or were) a EDACS system. I plugged them in one time while there and got a EDACS control channel. I have heard some voice traffic on some of the frequencies, but never had the time to sit down and figure out the LCN. It was apparently low-powered because I could barely get it across the river at Fort Fisher.

This is slightly off-topic but as of a couple of weeks ago, the former Progress Energy 900 mhz Motorola system is still alive and kicking in parts of Eastern NC, I travel between the Triad and Wilmington a lot and I am still hearing traffic on the system in Raleigh and Wilmington and parts in between.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info guys. If you happen to get down there anytime in the future Steve and can plug them in, I'd appreciate it. Would love to add them to my radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.