SDS100/SDS200: BS-SGPS Puck — Can it be mounted in any orientation?

SuperSixFour

Premium Subscriber
Hey all, first post here. I just received my SDS100 and the BC-SGPS module. I plan to keep the GPS in my vehicle for trips. In thinking about where to mount the GPS in my Jeep, I'm curious if there's any requirement to keep the GPS puck mounted right-side-up? Is there any loss of effectiveness if it is mounted sideways? Any other considerations? Thanks!

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Certainly not a scientific test, but I just turned the puck upside down and turned my SDS200 on. After a minute of no reading I flipped it right side up andl in about 20 seconds had a reading. Turned the radio off, turned it back on and after radio starts and is scanning again, about 20 seconds until it locked on the satellites.

So yes, it matters how it's mounted. Should be right side up.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
The rectangle GPS this uses is the same as the original SDS200 GPS. Which isn't the most sensitive GPS receiver to begin with.

So, it needs all the help it can get (aimed properly at the sky)

SuperSixFour

Premium Subscriber
Thank you to each of you. Sounds like a consensus to me; I will mount upright with as little obstruction to open sky as possible.

Certainly not a scientific test, but I just turned the puck upside down and turned my SDS200 on. After a minute of no reading I flipped it right side up andl in about 20 seconds had a reading. Turned the radio off, turned it back on and after radio starts and is scanning again, about 20 seconds until it locked on the satellites.

So yes, it matters how it's mounted. Should be right side up.
You want the antenna inside the gps to be pointing towards the sky.
…with a clear path to the sky…
The rectangle GPS this uses is the same as the original SDS200 GPS. Which isn't the most sensitive GPS receiver to begin with.

So, it needs all the help it can get (aimed properly at the sky)