BSA Summit Bechtel Reserve SIRN Ops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber
Hey all. I am the day time dispatcher for Fire and EMS at SBR, I noticed our talkgroups are being found and added to the database which is cool! If you have any specific questions I will totally try my best to answer them, anything related to our operations on the SIRN system or our TRBO system.

I plan to share some of the talkgroup information shortly after Jamboree is over. In the mean time I will say we have a total of 64 talkgroups on the SIRN system dedicated to our operations. Happy scanning :p

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber
Thank you I look forward to your future posts on this.
Sorry, I just saw this.. I've noticed over the course of my time on RR how monitored this website is. A day after I created this thread I received a phone call stating that it is privileged information and I am not allowed to give anything out or publish anything. I'm assuming they'll see this response and I wouldn't be surprised if I get another phone call.

I myself don't see why all of it should be hidden, I would think if it needs to be hidden then it needs to be encrypted. Although I've always been one to be transparent with most everything I do so maybe I just don't see the perception of why they wouldn't want it posted.

I mean I've heard what information is broadcasted across the talkgroups and nothing really stood out that could be a security risk or threat. If anything someone could keep track of where I positioned Fire/EMS elements or listened to the Police/Security operations and get ideas of what their procedures are. Perhaps I could see the police/security talkgroups encrypted but even then no vital information was really ever transmitted.

Unfortunately I don't believe I'll be able to provide the talkgroup information, maybe it could be requested via FOIA but even then I'm not sure.

fredva

Feed Provider
I can't speak for your bosses' concerns, but from a general legal standpoint, there is a difference between information willingly provided by an insider vs. information gathered by people on the outside. The information may be the same, but the origin makes a difference.

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber
I can't speak for your bosses' concerns, but from a general legal standpoint, there is a difference between information willingly provided by an insider vs. information gathered by people on the outside. The information may be the same, but the origin makes a difference.
That makes a lot of sense, I didn't really think about that.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Sorry, I just saw this.. I've noticed over the course of my time on RR how monitored this website is. A day after I created this thread I received a phone call stating that it is privileged information and I am not allowed to give anything out or publish anything. I'm assuming they'll see this response and I wouldn't be surprised if I get another phone call.

I myself don't see why all of it should be hidden, I would think if it needs to be hidden then it needs to be encrypted. Although I've always been one to be transparent with most everything I do so maybe I just don't see the perception of why they wouldn't want it posted.

I mean I've heard what information is broadcasted across the talkgroups and nothing really stood out that could be a security risk or threat. If anything someone could keep track of where I positioned Fire/EMS elements or listened to the Police/Security operations and get ideas of what their procedures are. Perhaps I could see the police/security talkgroups encrypted but even then no vital information was really ever transmitted.

Unfortunately I don't believe I'll be able to provide the talkgroup information, maybe it could be requested via FOIA but even then I'm not sure.

Don't worry about it. Your job is more important, always. Too many posters/submitters on RR have gotten themselves into trouble over the years for not using common sense. Better safe than sorry.

If the talkgroups encrypted, they might never be figured out (but nobody really cares anyway). If they aren't encrypted, they will be found eventually.

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber
Don't worry about it. Your job is more important, always. Too many posters/submitters on RR have gotten themselves into trouble over the years for not using common sense. Better safe than sorry.
Definitely, thank you for your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.