• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Btech GMRS V1 (alternative?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY2_TTY

Just received this today and it's going back!

Number one issue I have is I can't transmit on saved GMRS frequencies in other channels. I can only transmit if I modify the pre programmed channels.

I have Midland GMRS handy talkies and they have up to 50 channels. I was able to copy those channels and save them to my UV5R. I tried to save those same channels on the BTech and no go! I can only listen but not transmit.

Is there any (legal) alternative that will do what I want but not break the bank ???

Thanks

Last edited:

Delta33

Just received this today and it's going back!

Number one issue I have is I can't transmit on saved GMRS frequencies in other channels. I can only transmit if I modify the pre programmed channels.

I have Midland GMRS handy talkies and they have up to 50 channels. I was able to copy those channels and save them to my UV5R. I tried to save those same channels on the BTech and no go! I can only listen but not transmit.

Is there any (legal) alternative that will do what I want but not break the bank ???

Thanks

Well for starters, your UV5R is Not legal to transmit on GMRS with, and I without knowing the configuration that your chinese or Midland radios are programmed for , I would suggest Dumping the memories and starting Fresh so they will coincide with each other ? ;)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
More Midland radios.

The additional channels had to be RX-only to get FCC type acceptance because they can be set to non-GMRS/FRS frequencies.

Or you could forgo type acceptance and program the FRS/GMRS channels into UV-5Rs set to low power and narrowband TX. If your TX matches the defined emission rules (at least within a few dB of TX power), it's pretty unlikely anyone monitoring will psychically divine that you are not using type-accepted radios. No one is going to care, unless you use the radios to commit some form of douchebaggery that results in complaints to the FCC, or you are arrested while using the radios in the commission of some other crime.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
No I think he meant the "additional" channel banks on the Btech ... from channel 23 to 100+

Correct. Because they can be set to non-FRS/GMRS frequencies, the firmware has to inhibit TX in order for the radio to be type accepted.

A smarter way to handle it would have been to conditionally inhibit TX if not a FRS or GMRS frequency, so you could replicate the Midland fake "extra channels" frequency, CTCSS, and DCS settings, but that probably would have been too difficult for the FCC to figure out and approve.

DY2_TTY

Correct. Because they can be set to non-FRS/GMRS frequencies, the firmware has to inhibit TX in order for the radio to be type accepted.

A smarter way to handle it would have been to conditionally inhibit TX if not a FRS or GMRS frequency, so you could replicate the Midland fake "extra channels" frequency, CTCSS, and DCS settings, but that probably would have been too difficult for the FCC to figure out and approve.

That's what they should have done. Just allow Tx on GMRS frequencies regardless of channel used.

Can CHIRP do that? I have not tried it yet, it does not work on my Windows 10 PC.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It works on mine.

And with most radios you can disable TX on any channel in CHIRP, regardless of frequency.

DY2_TTY

It works on mine.

And with most radios you can disable TX on any channel in CHIRP, regardless of frequency.

Do you mean I can use CHIRP to enable transmit on GMRS frequencies saved on other memory channel with the BTech?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
No. I mean that you can disable transmit on individual channels with CHIRP on most other radios. So if you wanted to configure receive-only channels on a UV-5R, you can.

DY2_TTY

No. I mean that you can disable transmit on individual channels with CHIRP on most other radios. So if you wanted to configure receive-only channels on a UV-5R, you can.

Yes Sir, that's what I'm trying to figure out (with my old PC), but I can't find "disable" Tx anywhere. But I have configured the Police freqs with duplex that will transmit to a GMRS channel in case I accidentally push the ptt.

SOTAcria

Possible workaround

That is a major limitation, especially if you have repeaters available on same frequency.

How many of the "extra" Midland channels do you want to use? You could memorize or tape a cheat sheet on the radio with a handfull of channel's PLs and program them on the fly from the handset. To save time I would keep the RX tone set to off and just use the high power GMRS only freqs. Something like this:
Mid BTECH
46 07 462.5500 71.9
47 09 462.6000 241.8
48 11 462.6500 218.1
49 13 462.7000 192.8

Not the most elegant solution but if you need the VHF and loads of "scanner" channels to monitor, the BTech is hard to beat (for now.)

Otherwise, a classic part 95 approved UHF HT on Ebay is your best bet. I like Kenwoods and Ritrons.

Status
Not open for further replies.