Bttr thn sliced bread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirangerman

Boy - y'all better be right! lol I just ordered my PSR800 yesterday, (except for a good 800mhz antenna) !

Should be @ my 20 by weeks end! ;)

Last edited:

JoeyC

I find this an OK scanner, nothing special.
The reception on this thing though is top notch.
Cumbersome to use.
Lots of room for improvement in what could be a scanner leader.
Better than sliced bread? DEFINATELY NO!

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Just remember when the 500 600 197 and 106 came out all the talk about how bad it was it is just very differant from what we are used to but if you study the manual and think new it is a great scanner. It has the United States programmed in it and up to date if you keep the lib updated. No reprogramming to go on vacation or a trip outside your normal area.

safetyobc

PSR-800 is my favorite scanner. Best one I've ever owned as far as features. Love the on board recording and ability to quickly add systems from the SD card. Awesome piece of radio technology!

mirangerman

Wow!

Well, my nu scanner arrived two days b4 I expected it; it was here Tuesday, just shortly b4 1500hrs!

I didn't have a lick of problems getting it up and running. And I'm thinkng about "NOT" getting the 800 MHz antenna - mostly bcause I was pulling in units from as far away as 60+/- miles, as the crow flies! ex; this afternoon I was just pulling into my driveway in Sandusky, when I heard Algonac Fire - 60 some miles away to the So. of me as they were contacting the St. Clair Co. Dispatch!

I have also caught Lapeer & Tuscola units, as well. It's nice to live in a - "RURAL" area, eh?

Programming was a breeze, in more ways than one! lol I just followed the prompts, and it was finished in a matter of minutes! Although, if I'm not mistaken - it looks like it it uploaded all the freqs in the State! lol

I could go on - but will just say - the only thing I DONT like about it is - NOTHING! :)

KK4HG & bob_61; y'all can have my beer - a recovering alchy, I am! ;)

-charles

W2PMX

Just FYI, St. Clair and Algonac fire are on the MPSCS, so if there was a unit on their talkgroup associated with a site near you, that was the site you were hearing. 60 miles from the inside of a car on 800MHz is a little much, even for a GRE scanner.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Welcome to monitoring MPSCS. On statewide system, such as this one, you could have someone with a handheld, in Monroe, talking to someone on a handheld, who is standing in Marquette. I frequently hear distant fire departments communicating with air ambulances, on Air LZ1 and Air LZ2.

As a scanist, you won't be able monitor any traffic that doesn't have an authorized subscriber on that talkgroup, on the tower you are monitoring.

mirangerman

Just FYI, St. Clair and Algonac fire are on the MPSCS, so if there was a unit on their talkgroup associated with a site near you, that was the site you were hearing. 60 miles from the inside of a car on 800MHz is a little much, even for a GRE scanner.

Yea I noticed that more and more, as I was listening to it yesterday. And needless to say - by the time I turned it on at work, I wasn't surprised to hear an occasional long distance call.

Yeah - i got thinking about that too, about picking up Algonac earlier on my scanner. Don't cha just love nub's with a nu toy? lol

mirangerman

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Welcome to monitoring MPSCS. On statewide system, such as this one, you could have someone with a handheld, in Monroe, talking to someone on a handheld, who is standing in Marquette. I frequently hear distant fire departments communicating with air ambulances, on Air LZ1 and Air LZ2.

As a scanist, you won't be able monitor any traffic that doesn't have an authorized subscriber on that talkgroup, on the tower you are monitoring.

Yeah - I kinda wish I coulda heard the rest of that stop some trooper did just North of Pinconning on I-75! lol

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Programming was a breeze, in more ways than one! lol I just followed the prompts, and it was finished in a matter of minutes! Although, if I'm not mistaken - it looks like it it uploaded all the freqs in the State! lol

Charles, you can arrow right in the MPSCS menu and select the sites that are close to you, then just import the ones you need.

krokus

Premium Subscriber

DaveIN said:
Charles, you can arrow right in the MPSCS menu and select the sites that are close to you, then just import the ones you need.

When I setup my 500, I selected the control channels for the counties I am like to travel to or through.

When I setup a 600 for someone, that was going to just using it at home, I setup just the control channels for the towers closest to his house. Those towers are in different counties, and nearly equidistant from his house, and he monitors multiple TGs in both counties. (I configured the towers into two separate MPSCS TSYS entries, and grouped the TGs with their respective county tower.)

As you can see, how you plan on using the scanner can highly affect how you configure the radio.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.