Bucknell University Public Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMPhillieFan

Anyone have any updated information on the frequency(ies) for Bucknell Public Safety, Lewisburg, PA? They used to use 463.775; however, when I was in PA visiting, I never heard any public safety traffic on that nor any other frequency in the FCC database.

Thank you.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Frequency you mentioned is from WNKV987 & that license expired back in 2013. FCC ULS searches determine numerous other active licenses. One of them, WRCB934 appears to be a trunked radio system. Contact on that licensee is (or was) the director of public safety so that tells me public safety COULD be on that TRS. Emissions look analog but I have seen DMR in use when only licensed for analog & DMR seems to be the dominant trend for universities now. Would be fun to try and figure out if I'm ever up that way

Last edited:

u2brent

OAMPT
Additionally..
Possibly an LTR Trunk type variation. 60 Units 100 W repeater output
These systems are still around and many have never been documented.
portables, mobile/no repeater/conventional use on the Golf Course. 20 Units 5W

ScanMan055

Premium Subscriber
Since it's licensed as conventional it could be Analog, P25 Conventional, DMR Conventional, or NXDN Conventional. They may also use Union County and/or Borough/Township Frequencies on occasion for mutual aid.

NMPhillieFan

I have the eight frequencies programmed into the scanner (BCD996P2, no extras) and have heard nothing. On the computer, running SDRSharp and DSD+, I have heard public safety on 461.3875. I have not heard them any of the other frequencies listed yet.

EDIT: I have now heard them on the scanner, so it appears to not be DMR. It is annoying to listen to as there is a click every few seconds, but they are in the clear.

u2brent

OAMPT
LTR Standard

Department
Wild Card TG or ID Search Mode

Site Frequencies
461.3875 LCN1
461.9625 LCN2
463.2125 LCN3
463.6875 LCN4

It probably needs programmed as an LTR standard trunked system and the LCN finder would need to be run..
I threw in some LCN values, but they are just as an example.
That's possibly the cause of the annoying click heard while monitoring as a conventional NFM frequency.
They may only use one frequency, or the others are idle most of the time, would have to catch them on a busy day.
If it is an LTR.. That click should not be audible if programmed that way.. (Of course there are LTR types that can't be followed by a scanner this way, but it's likely not one of those types)
Can't say for sure, but it's what I'd try if I was there.. (y)

Another thought I had.. If the transmission your hearing is using a CTCSS/DCS tone then it's not an LTR, just conventional.

Last edited:

u2brent

OAMPT
Shouldn't I hear a control channel?
No, an LTR doesn't have a CC per say, control data is subaudible, similar to CAP+ with a moving Rest CH but much older, data bursts are sent on each active frequency.
My thought was the clicks you reported hearing could be an artifact of that data. IDK
I'm sure someone else could explain it better. :)

ScanMan055

Premium Subscriber
Since it's licensed as conventional it could be Analog, P25 Conventional, DMR Conventional, or NXDN Conventional. They may also use Union County and/or Borough/Township Frequencies on occasion for mutual aid.

I may have looked at the wrong license last night. The below l I'm link shows all licenses for Bucknell.

ScanMan055

Premium Subscriber

I may have looked at the wrong license last night. The below l I'm link shows all licenses for Bucknell.

u2brent

OAMPT

Easy to do.. ;)
The link doesn't seem to be working now, This is what I found..

This one is discussed above.
YG: Industrial/Business Pool, Trunked
WE ARE ENGAGED IN THE BUSINESS OF OPERATING A UNIVERSITY
________

The following are active conventional/Non-Trunked/NFM

Applicant is a university golf course. Radios will be used to coordinate activities
________
WE ARE IN ENGAGED IN THE BUSINESS OF EDUCATION
________
WE ARE ENGAGED IN THE BUSINESS OF OPERATING A UNIVERSITY
________
COORD DAILY ATHLETIC DEPT MAINTENANCE OPS
________
ENTITY ENGAGED IN UNIVERSITY SERVICES

Area search

scan-pa

RRDB Admin
Database Admin
I have a submission, however it is missing most of the needed info, to put it in the DB. If the submitter is reading this thread, please check your private message, and reply back when you can.

Thanks,

NMPhillieFan

I have programmed the system as LTR. I have used every combination of LCN, not that there are that many w/4 frequencies, none have worked. Any other suggestions?

u2brent

OAMPT
I guess your model doesn't have a built in LCN finder/analyzer. That makes it kinda hard, but the links provides some tips/options.

you might be able to use this software with an SDR and VAC, not sure.. appears to be available to download anyway.. IDK

I'm afraid I can't help too much beyond those links.
Maybe you know somebody in the area (or a person local or passing thru that's following/finds this thread can volunteer) with a newer scanner that has that function. Uniden Home Patrol or newer models I believe all have that LCN finder function built into the radio..
If anyone else is following this thread and can help nows the time.. :)

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I have programmed the system as LTR. I have used every combination of LCN, not that there are that many w/4 frequencies, none have worked. Any other suggestions?
Program each individual frequency as analog conventional into a single search bank/department. If you hear activity, take note of which frequency(ies) is (are) in use, then modify the LTR system you previously created and run LCN finder to get the correct LCN order. There is a possibility it may not be an LTR system (nor trunked) at all. I know of several licensees in my area (Triangle Comms comes to mind) who are licensed for class YG but use their freqs conventionally

NMPhillieFan

All 4 base frequencies, listed on the license, have the same annoying "noise". It just sounds like open squelch and it only last for a second, but it happens every 2-3 seconds. It also happens on all 4 freqs at the same time. I have run the app, LTR Analyzer, and while it shows it is decoding traffic, it does not output any information about an LTR system. I do not believe the BCD996P2 has a LCN finder.

It still appears only the one frequency is active. I have heard nothing, except for the "noise", over the past couple of days on the other three.

Septa3371CSX1

All 4 base frequencies, listed on the license, have the same annoying "noise". It just sounds like open squelch and it only last for a second, but it happens every 2-3 seconds. It also happens on all 4 freqs at the same time. I have run the app, LTR Analyzer, and while it shows it is decoding traffic, it does not output any information about an LTR system. I do not believe the BCD996P2 has a LCN finder.

It still appears only the one frequency is active. I have heard nothing, except for the "noise", over the past couple of days on the other three.
Could it possibility be an LTR Passport System? Those work a little differently than regular LTR systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.