Budget & Basic - (Re-Entry) Listening Post

dispatchgeek

Control channel goes "brrrrr"
Between the cornfields and the pastures, Michigan.
I really like this. I go in cycles where my listening post fills up with radios and scanners, and then I strip it back down to the basics. Nicely done, I might have to steal some ideas for mine. Also, I grew up with a Bearcat 800XLT in my parents house. One of my favorite scanners of all time.

laidback

RailFanning is a way of Life
Premium Subscriber
Welcome back
After a twenty year hiatus, my "listening post" looks spartan, kind of embarrassing actually, compared to the other photos I've seen here. But hey, I've only been back into the hobby for about three weeks. Anyway, here it is, such as

dispatchgeek

Control channel goes "brrrrr"
Between the cornfields and the pastures, Michigan.
I have a mantra I live by in the tech world- "I'm using last year's model." I have an SDS100 by necessity due to some simulcast cells in the area, but all of my other scanning is done on radios that people have long since forgotten about.

You think your's is spartan?:

View attachment 108680
All kidding aside, I see nothing wrong with your setup. Plenty of my stuff is "seasoned". I drag it along, kicking and screaming, often until its obsolete.

bharvey2

I have a mantra I live by in the tech world- "I'm using last year's model." I have an SDS100 by necessity due to some simulcast cells in the area, but all of my other scanning is done on radios that people have long since forgotten about.

You've passed me up. My latest scanner is an RS-688. While the newest and prettiest is appealing, I'm not a fan of being a guinea pig. I usually let the manufacturer work the bugs out before I jump in.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I like it, SDR on the left, old faithful (BC-800XLT?) on the right! I bet you don't stay up all night trying to figure out how to program the Uniden of that era! I'm envious. :D

View attachment 108672

Yeah, that to me is one of the "SEXIEST" scanners ever made. Why?

1) Like you mentioned it's SUPER EASY to program.
2) The display is awesome in a dark room, but visible in a bright room.
3) Looks good anywhere.
4 Sounds excellent.

I live out in the toolies, most everything is still ANALOG, and I'm only using 6 of the "massive" 40 channels it's capable of.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Gotta love vacuum fluorescent displays!

You are so correct! LCD's usually have backlights that do not show up very well, or turn off after a predetermined amount of time. The LCD readouts themselves are sometimes unreadable at an angle. I remember the Kenwood V7A I used to have had a display that went bad too. Sometimes old tech is the best tech, I mean this thing is at least 35 years old and it still looks and runs like new. Now that all said, I really like this RTL-SDR dongle because the spectrum display lets me find active frequencies to plug into the scanner much faster that using the 800XLT's search feature.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
That 800xlt is in perfect shape. As clean and new looking as the day it came out of the box. I had one of those!