Budget & Basic - (Re-Entry) Listening Post

K1MLG

Premium Subscriber
The 800XLT was classy looking radio for the day. I bought mine new but dug it out of the closet last year and put it back in service. Unfortunately, the display died and I reluctantly sent it off to electronics recycling.

n6hgg

I bought two Pro-2020's (1986 technology) last week to "update" my av comm post. Works well for analog monitoring in Humbloldt County. There's something to be said for "simple". Yours looks great.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Any suggestions to make in better? Yep. Icom 8600, SDS200 and a case of beer for starters.

I'd L:love:VE an Icom 8600, sadly that $2,300 price point in not in my budget. I have to admit, having a communications receiver of that caliber would be fun! I probably should have gotten the SDS200, but I'm locked in with the SDS100 now. As for the beer, I'll probably head up to Olympia this spring and replenish my Soju stock.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Couldn't afford the 8600 either so I settled for the 8500. Started off with the Icom R75 for HF but got lucky and snagged a 8500. Selling the R75 since the 8500 has HF and VHF/UHF.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I recently bought and moved into a retirement condo in a senior's only complex. I made sure to get one on the top floor (for the best radio reception) ;). Anyway my layout is similar to before, but now I do my scanning and searching with the SDS100 and my SDR, both on seperate screens. It works for me!

Updated.jpg

captaincab

monitoring delco pa with gre psr300 pro2053 and b
I had a 800Xlt got it for free from a guy in my old neighborhood I had it a good 15 years ran great on my county’s uhf T band system till it finally started making the dying speaker hun. It sat on my dresser and at night I could see that display clear as day from my bed. Wish I have kept it and had it fixed. It might be time to hunt one down.

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber
I recently bought and moved into a retirement condo in a senior's only complex. I made sure to get one on the top floor (for the best radio reception) ;). Anyway my layout is similar to before, but now I do my scanning and searching with the SDS100 and my SDR, both on seperate screens. It works for me!

View attachment 146116
Any roof access? Whenever I'm watching an older movie, and one of the characters has pigeons or a garden on the roof, I think..fine place for shack with an antenna array and some raspberrypi's

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Any roof access? Whenever I'm watching an older movie, and one of the characters has pigeons or a garden on the roof, I think..fine place for shack with an antenna array and some raspberrypi's
Nope no roof access, no external antennas allowed due to HOA's. I'm wondering if a hidden dipole would really offer much improvement for what I listen to which is mostly local scanner traffic.