Buffalo Airport Plane Spotting Sites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
May be taking my grandson to the Buffalo Airpot tomorrow to watch and listen to planes. He's crazy about aviation. Can someone in that area tell me if there are any good public places to watch planes at the airport?

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
Where to Watch Planes at Buffalo, NY Airport?

May be taking my grandson to the Buffalo Airpot tomorrow to watch and listen to planes. He's crazy about aviation. Can someone in that area tell me if there are any good public places to watch planes at the airport?

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
There are a ton of malls and other places at the southwest corner of the field. There is a Holiday Inn "Budgetell" that has a good parking lot. I think it is right at the end of Rt 33.

D

DaveNF2G

There is a small parking area near the Flying Tigers restaurant. I have even watched the NWS people launch their balloon at 18:00 from there.

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
Sadly, Flying Tigers is now closed. I think it might be some sort of ambulance base now....

I emailed Mercy Flight, which is now located there. They told me there is a public parking area behind their office that is very good for viewing.

bezking

Hi scnrfrq,

I've merged the other thread you started into this one. Please refrain from posting the same topic in multiple forums in the future.

Thanks!

KC2DQC

Premium Subscriber
KBUF viewing

On the north side there is 2 good locations. The one mentioned, old Flying Tigers/now Mercy Flight. Aero Dr, next to runway 23 tunnel, turn onto Amherst Villa Rd.
Also another northside location for rwy 23 is Aero Dr, north on S Youngs Rd, right Lawrence Bell Dr. near where ILS beam crosses Lawrence Bell

On the south/east side, near intersection of Genesee St and Holtz Dr, for rwy 32. There are a few spots like Holiday Inn and a gas station, which don't usually bother you parked there short term.

On south/west side, 3901 Genesee St. for rwy 5. This is Make-A-Wish Foundation. It used to be NY Thruway offices. Then it was usually wide open with no problem parking there. Now the parking lot is filled more with company vehicles and workers cars. Not sure if it's a problem now.

On west side, off Cayuga Dr. near US Post Office. There you'll see the big cargo aircraft and any charters for sports teams.

Hope this helps

daburnoutny

another spot is on other side of tunnel

If you go down hotz. rd . past the Mercy flight go through the tunnel , stay to right , you~ll be on youngs rd. just past the golf driving range .

Just over the hill is a side rd. called Lawrance bell dr. a lot of business parking lots to pull into to face the end of runway .

You`ll see alot of low flying planes comming in from werele dr.

Brings back memories there used to be a car show at the old runways bar all the old muscle cars running through the tunnel wide open headers . Miss the old cruise nights .

Status
Not open for further replies.