Buffalo Fire Reception Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

wqhz937

Premium Subscriber
I live in the City of Buffalo, just about a mile from the Delaware Park tower. I’m having an issue receiving Buffalo Fire (424.225) on my BCT-15X using a Comtelco All Band mobile antenna mounted in my garage (drywall only, no insulation). I am not having any issue receiving other fire dispatch in the same area (Amherst, Tonawanda, Grand Island). Has anyone else experienced the signal on Buffalo Fire starting out strong but then getting very scratchy? Any suggestions? Should I ground the antenna?

I do plan on mounting this antenna on the outside of my garage at the peak of the roof once the snow melts and weather cooperates, but I was hoping to improve reception in the meantime.

ATCTech

I'd be looking for nearby even stronger signals in the 420 MHz band (to start with at least) near your location that might be clobbering 424.225 specifically. The reason I suggest that is I'm 65 miles northwest of you with a discone about 35' AGL and I'm listening to 424.225, albeit at a very weak level, with seemingly no breakup of any of the transmissions not directly related to purely low signal. My first inclination is you have something nearby on a (probably somewhat) adjacent frequency at a rediculously strong RF level swamping the scanner or mixing with other on-air frequencies causing a false (destructive) signal on the fire frequency within the radio. Very common in urban areas with consumer-grade receivers.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I'm in South Cheektowaga east of Union rd and I find even with a outdoor antenna, some days reception is better for BFD then others.

streetbob

Premium Subscriber
I too live in South Cheektowaga west of Union Rd and using a Uniden SDS 200 sometimes BFD 424.225 comes in choppy with a harsh squelch tail. I don't know what causes it but I suspect some sort of interference. Sorry I could not be more helpful.

BITT211

In , Elma , all Buff fire , f-1 / f-2 / f-3 / service channel , all clear using minitors 3 and 5 's no external antenna , 24/7

streetbob

Premium Subscriber
An update to my post of yesterday. This afternoon I heard a radio tech making tests on 424.225 BFD ch. 1. So far audio sounds better although the dispatcher is slightly muffled.

BTFire21

On the Delaware tower is ADI Dispatch at 424.375. I'd bet they are wiping out BFD since they are 100 watts where BFD is 50 watts or less because of simulcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.