Buffalo Police Hum on signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc2053

HI Thanks to the person who is rebroadcasting P25 BPD. The audio has a DC Hum on the line. Check your unit or grounding. Also the audio is has no lows in the audio.. Listen to NY PD or Chicago PD for comparison.

jmaty23

Premium Subscriber
Hello, thanks for the feedback on the feed. Can you suggest a way to fix the problem with the DC hum and the audio lows. I have a grounding adapter inline between my tower and the scanner but it does not seem to help.

baldbrad

Feed Provider
I might suggest an audio isolation transformer between the radio and the computer (ground loop isolator). Both of my feeds have one due to horrible hum without them.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Try backing your audio down from the source, and check your input levels. If you overdrive the computer sound card it will hum. You want to use line in on the computer and not mic. Also remember BPD is digital and will sound different than NYPD etc that is analog. It wont sound alot different but will sound more flat.

Nysff

Just a suggestion there bud, But maybe buy a entirely new audio cable.

I know i had horrible audio at one time and it took me a entire reload of windows to fix it. lol

uniquedawg1

i would try a new wall wart to power scanner or run it off a regulated power supply sounds like not enough filtering on dc supply

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
Hi jmaty23. I just put on your buffalo police feed and it still hums when no officers are talking and when they do talk it overides the hum somyou don not hear it,i dont know if that was the issue that was described but wanted to let you know.

traildraft

Premium Subscriber
It's barely noticeable on my end.

I was dealing with the same problem. I was using a laptop with no ground. Then I switched to a tower style pc and viola! problem solved.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Some other possibilities might be to make for sure that both the computer and scanner are on the same ground (or any thing else hooked to the scanner or computer). For example they are all plugged into the same outlet. Although once when I lived in an older house I actually had to plug the computer into a different outlet than my scanner. Not really for sure what was going on there, maybe my surge protector was the problem.

Also you might listen to the scanner without the computer attached to see if the hum is still there and do the same with your computer sound card to make for sure that one does not have a problem already. I found I had to reset my sound card since I was getting a low level hum from it without my scanner attached and in another case I found my antenna was the problem.

However, once after 3 days of trying everything I could think of, I found that the PD was having technical problems and they were actually broadcasting the hum (one of the units asked why there was hum on the signal). I sure wasted a lot of time on that one, so having people let you know what they are hearing will be helpful.

Good luck hums can be tricky sometimes to eliminate.

Status
Not open for further replies.