Bug? unable to turn on group if all groups got turn off in a single system

Status
Not open for further replies.

covinoe

Premium Subscriber
Have BCD325P2 Scanner ... If turn off all the groups in a conv system I am unable to turn back on any of the groups in that sytem.

Example:
4 Conventional systems programmed (using freescan) and turned on:

S0: 1234------
GRP1234567890

Turn off systems 1,2,4 (by pressing keys 124) leaving System 3 that has 4 groups programed: 1,2,3,9:

SO:**3*------
GRP123-----9-

IF I turn off groups 1,2,3, (func:123) no problems

GRP***-----9-

However if i was to turn off the last group 9 (func: 9)...

I get "Scan Mode Nothing to SCAN" (ok..makes sense)
PROBLEM IS: I am no longer able to turn the groups back on in that system (3)... as it now shows no groups:

GRP---------

Although if I press hold I can scroll thru these groups in system 3 but can not turn them back on. Other systems seem unaffected (unless I turn off all the groups in another system in which case i can not turn those back on either),

Only fix appears to reload file from Freescan

If I download from scanner to a freescan file I notice at the bottom of the system all groups are now unchecked where they were previously check on upload to the scanner.

I know the short -term answer is to not turn off all the groups in a system... instead turn off that system.,... however sometimes fat fingers have other ideas.

marksmith

When you are scrolling through them you have an opportunity to bring up the menu by pressing enter. Use menu to get to group or system settings remove group lockout.

Mark
536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

covinoe

Premium Subscriber
Understand what your saying but does not work

However if you assign it a new Group QK (change 3 to 4). Then it reappears (should have posted itahat before) as the new qk group 4

The scanner should not eliminate the possibility of using Quick-keys if you turn all the groups off in a system and force you to change the Quick key number for each group in that system order to turn them back on

a29zuk

I have duplicated this problem on my 325. There is no way to turn them back on. Shutting the group qkey off is not locking them out. So going into the menu on the scanner will not allow you to turn them back on.
You found a quirk in the firmware!
Will have to use the software to turn them back on.
Now, just out of curiosity, I'll have to try my 396T.

Jim

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
A long time ago, I experienced the same thing. A fellow scannist, Dave L. told me how to get around it as follows:

Dave L said:
To re-enable the Groups, Press FUNCTION, then use
the Scroll Knob to scroll to the system you want to enable GQKs. Press
the GQK #s while holding FUNCTION or in F-HOLD MODE. The System then
will be enabled to be scanned.

Some users don't assign a GQK to a group to prevent the issue you
experienced, or leave a group enabled.

covinoe

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the work around!

Thanks Jim for confirming the bug for me.

Bob thanks for the fixes...using the scroll solution works if I had another system on.
I like the idea of an unassigned group quick-key to prevent losing the others.

Right now I have my most listen to frequency across all systems. Curious if there is a common unused or unassigned frequency out there to use as a placeholder.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It isn't a bug. When the scanner displays "Nothing to Scan" it isn't scanning anything. To enable/disable a GQK for a system you must be scanning that system (but, if you are not scanning anything you are not scanning that system). So, you must use the procedure Bob outlined to go to that system and enable a QK. Some people put in 1 frequency that is never active in a department that does not have a QK to avoid having this happen to them.

a29zuk

I've never fat fingered my scanners to shut off all the group quick keys. It was interesting to try and after all someone had a solution.
Thanks to all,
Jim

covinoe

Premium Subscriber
So it's not a bug but a feature?
When there is nothing to scan system quick keys work but group keys donot, this is a design feature?
A "feature" that requires individuals to put in an unused frequency to prevent it from happening

Apologize for wasting boards time if I had just read markscanners easy manual correctly the first time....
From his manual:
"Notes: If no systems are programmed, or all systems (or groups in a system) are locked out or turned off, 'Nothing to Scan' appears. Turn on a system/site quick key or unlock a system/site to scan. If you turn off all groups in a system you will not be able to turn any back on and also see 'Nothing to Scan'. This is a bug that frustrates everybody. In that case, while in Scan mode, press and hold Func to lock function mode. Scroll to the system then press the number of the group quick key(s) you want to enable. Press Func to start scanning then press Func again to unlock function mode."

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'd say this is more of a "quirk" than a "bug" - something that was intentionally engineered but had undeirable consequences. It is something that also occurs in 396 and 996 model scanners.

The procedure described above will deal with the situation, but may be difficult to remember. What I've done when I failed to remember turning off all the group quick keys for a system creates a problem, is to use the menu to edit the system and add a new channel to a group that isn't assigned a group quick key. Then go back to scanning and enabling at least one group quick key.

Status
Not open for further replies.