Build my own PSR-310 Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfonzo1955

I am too cheap to buy a cable to connect my PSR-310 to my computer. How would I go about building one? Both USB and Serial are okay for me.

SCPD

QRT
You are still going to need a serial to ttl converter. I might be wrong but you cant just splice a cable and roll your own.

Good luck
Mike

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
It also needs the correct USB device drivers to communicate with the PC/IF on the radio.

alfonzo1955

I am not expecting to just splice the cables. I have experience with electronic circuitry and am pretty confident that I could build one if I had the right diagrams.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
BYO cable

I am too cheap to buy a cable to connect my PSR-310 to my computer. How would I go about building one? Both USB and Serial are okay for me.
If you want to do this as a fun activitiy, great. If you are doing it to save money, even if you value your time at zero, it is unlikely.

I have built a couple of different version cables. My goals were a lot higher because I wanted the USB aspect and I wanted the cable to work with any GRE made scanner I own. If you are only concerned with the newer models such as the '310, it makes it "simpler".

Here is a thread on the topic from not too long ago. The basic facts are: the '310 is a 3.3v design, but you should consider driving the signals to the scanner's PC/IF with open-collector. If you're just using a COM port (or COM side of a USB to COM adapter) signals can be from +/- 5v to +/- 15v, so level translation is needed. If you do incorporate your own USB to COM converter, your USB driver simply needs to present the cable as a COM port.

Status
Not open for further replies.