• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Build repeater using CP200s and CDM1250s

Status
Not open for further replies.

widowmaker6

Copyright Police
Banned
Greetings gentlemen-
I'm new to this site and new to the frs/gmrs radio service. I do have my license already and I've been trying to read up and find a few things that hopefully y'all can steer me towards since my research skills are lacking heavily.
I can't seem to find the sticky regarding Motorola CPS and the link to go to purchase it. I thought I was doing good until I realized I signed up for an account at the Motorola brand of cell phones. FML
So, if anyone can point me to the right place so I can order my own software, that would be great!
Reason for software: I have been given four older CP200s and 2 CDM1250s that are now OOS and I'd like to reprogram them to the frs/gmrs family of freqs. I have already had my personal radio reprogrammed that I used while I was in service. I've also bought 6 of the Motorola T600 series radios that my kids can use while outside on our farm. Yes, they know not to mess around with the gmrs freqs unless I tell them to go to those channels and if they do, they have a nice little sticky label that reminds them of the call sign if we're using them. Together with my radio, the 4 CP200s, their 6 radios and my wife's OOS duty radio, we shouldn't have an issue of some talk availability. This leads me into my last issue. I have those 2 CDM1250s that I planned on trying to build a repeater so talk availability would increase if needed. I've seen pics of the set ups with two radios and I surprisingly thought that it was going to be easy. Yeah. I thought.
I am trying to track down how to build one using those 2 radios but I think I stepped into a giant pile a scat.
My question to y'all... am I in over my head with this and forget about the radio route and just buy a repeater? There are no repeaters in my area that I can tell from my research.
Lastly-
Thank you!!

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Greetings gentlemen-
I'm new to this site and new to the frs/gmrs radio service. I do have my license already and I've been trying to read up and find a few things that hopefully y'all can steer me towards since my research skills are lacking heavily.
I can't seem to find the sticky regarding Motorola CPS and the link to go to purchase it. I thought I was doing good until I realized I signed up for an account at the Motorola brand of cell phones. FML
So, if anyone can point me to the right place so I can order my own software, that would be great!
Reason for software: I have been given four older CP200s and 2 CDM1250s that are now OOS and I'd like to reprogram them to the frs/gmrs family of freqs. I have already had my personal radio reprogrammed that I used while I was in service. I've also bought 6 of the Motorola T600 series radios that my kids can use while outside on our farm. Yes, they know not to mess around with the gmrs freqs unless I tell them to go to those channels and if they do, they have a nice little sticky label that reminds them of the call sign if we're using them. Together with my radio, the 4 CP200s, their 6 radios and my wife's OOS duty radio, we shouldn't have an issue of some talk availability. This leads me into my last issue. I have those 2 CDM1250s that I planned on trying to build a repeater so talk availability would increase if needed. I've seen pics of the set ups with two radios and I surprisingly thought that it was going to be easy. Yeah. I thought.
I am trying to track down how to build one using those 2 radios but I think I stepped into a giant pile a scat.
My question to y'all... am I in over my head with this and forget about the radio route and just buy a repeater? There are no repeaters in my area that I can tell from my research.
Lastly-
Thank you!!

You should probably start your own thread.

You are not going to be able to purchase CPS for those radios anymore, last I remember. You're going to need to find other means of obtaining that programming software.

It is cheap to purchase a repeater interface cable for the CDM1250s, and relatively easy to program things to work properly. However, you also need a duplexer, or two separate antennas for transmit and receive.

widowmaker6

Copyright Police
Banned
You should probably start your own thread.

You are not going to be able to purchase CPS for those radios anymore, last I remember. You're going to need to find other means of obtaining that programming software.

It is cheap to purchase a repeater interface cable for the CDM1250s, and relatively easy to program things to work properly. However, you also need a duplexer, or two separate antennas for transmit and receive.
Well crap
Story of my life lol
Alright, I'll dig and see what our local ham guys may have if I can get a hold of them.
I appreciate your time and knowledge!!

widowmaker6

Copyright Police
Banned
Gentleman,

First, my apologies if I'm not posting the right way. I've only been on here a few days, so please feel free to guide me like Stevie Wonder to the right place.
Second: I'm reaching out to find any operators in my area of Ohio who owns CPS software that I can pay to have a few radios programmed. They are 4 CP200s and 2 CDM1250s.
Again, I'll gladly pay for services rendered and time as I've found out that that software is no longer available.
Please advise

Thanks!
Bill

gtaman

Gentleman,

First, my apologies if I'm not posting the right way. I've only been on here a few days, so please feel free to guide me like Stevie Wonder to the right place.
Second: I'm reaching out to find any operators in my area of Ohio who owns CPS software that I can pay to have a few radios programmed. They are 4 CP200s and 2 CDM1250s.
Again, I'll gladly pay for services rendered and time as I've found out that that software is no longer available.
Please advise

Thanks!
Bill

what area of Ohio.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
I'll be 'that guy' today and chime in to tell you that whether or not you have a GMRS license those radios are not FCC type accepted for use on FRS-only frequencies. They may or may not be for GMRS, as it seems many newer models are not Part 95 type accepted either.

It sounds like for your use case 'around the farm' you should just license an itinerant business frequency if you wish to use that hardware.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin

widowmaker6

Copyright Police
Banned
Well I guess I need an umbrella then since you're pissing on my parade lol
It appears that I need to study up some more.
I've used radios in the past from my time in the military and as a first responder but I've had no clue that it could be so in depth.
Thanks for the reply!!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Since you are trying to program Motorola radios, your posts have been moved to the Motorola forum.

captaincab

monitoring delco pa with gre psr300 pro2053 and b
Roger
Thank you!
First Sir thank you for your service second if you google fcc type 95 accepted you will find a list of accepted radios for gmrs then hit up eBay. I use a few Kenwood models I know your looking to stick with what you have but Kenwood is easier to use and programming software is available and easier to use just a thought.

widowmaker6

Copyright Police
Banned
First Sir thank you for your service second if you google fcc type 95 accepted you will find a list of accepted radios for gmrs then hit up eBay. I use a few Kenwood models I know your looking to stick with what you have but Kenwood is easier to use and programming software is available and easier to use just a thought.
Thank You Sir!!
I appreciate it!!

I will definitely look into that!! I appreciate it!!
I've used a few radio systems over my years in the Army as a grunt. Shoot, move and communicate.
I tend to stick with what I know, such as AI, with the AN/PRC77 (prick77), Harris, EF Johnson, ICOM, Motorola, ITT, with SINCGARS and ASIPS, etc...
Motorola would have to be my favorite radio manufacturer if Iwere to choose and that carried over to my time as a firefighter.
I don't know the reliability of other radio manufacturers such as Kenwood, like I do with Motorola, however I may if the price is right, be game to giving them a shot.
Thanks for your info!!

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I don't know the reliability of other radio manufacturers such as Kenwood, like I do with Motorola, however I may if the price is right, be game to giving them a shot.

CalFire has been using Kenwood mobiles for a long time.
California Highway Patrol is currently in the process of replacing all their mobile radios (VHF Low, VHF High, UHF and 7/800MHz) with all Kenwood/EFJohnson radios. Somewhere north of 3000 vehicles.
Kenwood is becoming more popular around here than any other manufacturer.
I've got about 500 Kenwood radios on my trunked system and a few other conventional systems. Most of those radios are nearing 10 years old. I've had about 4 radios total out of the 500 give me issues in those 10 years.

We were 99% Motorola up until about 2011, now we are 99% Kenwood. You'll get much better customer service and support from Kenwood, and you'll pay less than Motorola.

Status
Not open for further replies.